1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Starting out with GameMaker. . .

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Tunely, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tunely

Tunely Member

So, a few years back, I had a slight bit of JavaScript coding experience with a tutorial on a separate program, and completely forgot everything I learned. I started doing drag and drop coding with websites like Scratch which involved no coding and was very appealing at the time. Now, I want to ease in to real coding language, but I don't know where to start. Should I try to use the drag/drop system on here, or just go straight into coding? Tutorials, advice, and anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

I would recommend going straight in GML coding. It is easy enough to pick up, provided that you use the reference materials that are available (ie: the manual). The majority of people here are also a lot more used to working with GML than the Drag n Drop aspects of GMS.

There are plenty of tutorials available, official ones and unofficial ones. Official ones can be found on the start page of the IDE, and there are lots that can be found on this forum and (if you prefer to watch and listen) YouTube. Just be aware that tutorials will vary in the competence and professionalism of the presenter quite dramatically, and there are some that are probably best avoided (in particular ones where they user physics for no other reason than it is a quick and dirty way of handling movement, etc).

3. Tunely

Tunely Member

Thanks, but are there are any tutorials you would recommend starting with?

4. Toque

Toque Member

The logic for GML and drag and drop is the same so I would just do GML.

You have a bit of coding behind you so it won’t take long.

Help will quickly dry up as most users use GML.

The astronauts brick breaker and space rocks are great starting points.

5. Tunely

Tunely Member

Thanks!