• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX Start video with trigger

J

Juliuz Zinger

Hi! I am working on a school project and is obviously making a game. And I want to show a video after ''player'' has touched a certain object. I have been trying with the event/action system but that way it didn't work. I have been trying to do some coding to get it working, but I am kind of new to this kind of coding so I have no idea what to write. I have found a ''command'' that is called ''show_video'' but I don't know what I should write to get it working.

A

Aura

There's no show_video(). It's called splash_show_video() instead. Here's the Manual entry on splash screens:

http://gamemaker.info/en/manual/407_01_splash

The ideal way to use the splash screen functionality would be configure the region first then you can simply play the video when the player object collides with a certain object. You should use a seperate object for playing the video that deactivates all the instances in the room using instance_deactivate_all() and plays the video, so that rest of the gameplay is not affected. And when you want to return to the gameplay, simply destroy the instance that was used to play the video and activate all the earlier deactivated instances using instance_activate_all().

J

Juliuz Zinger

I now sound like I am really newbie to this. But I don't know how to use these ''instances'' or ''commands''. I tried using quite alot of those commands on the web page you sent me. I couldn't get anything to work because I don't know how to use them. The ''splash_show_video()'' command said that, in the parenthesis it was going to say ''fname'' which I looked and it's filename. I tried writing both ''fname'' and the actual filename of the video, but none of it worked. And the ''instance_deactivate_all()'' I have no idead how to use because I have never heard of it before.