• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Start using GMS2?

P

PapaSjeff

Hey,

so a few months back i started using GMS1.4. Followed tutorials, working on small games etc etc. Now i am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to GMS2 or stay with GMS1.4. I know that GMS2 of course doesn't have a lot of learning material yet but i guess figuring things out from older material can't be that hard?

As a beginning gamemaker user would it be smart to already jump to GMS2 or stay with 1.4 for a while?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so my personal opinion on this is that you should switch to 2.0 if you can. It is obviously going to be getting improvements over time and YYG have stated that 1.4 will only get bugfixes, but no new functionality... which means that the longer you leave it, the bigger the gap between 1.4 and 2.0 gets, as more stuff in 2.0 will be getting added and changed. There is already a fair bit of difference between the two products and it'll be easier to switch now than it will be in say, a year.

P

PapaSjeff

Cool, thanks for you reply! I guess will check GMS2 out then.

Geoff Jones

To add to that, if you are using GML, the old 1.4 tutorials (aside from the room editor and script editor) are still very relevant.