• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Scripts Stack Flow System [FREE]

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff

Stack Flow System
is a collection of scripts and objects for fine-grained game flow control. It comes with two major components.

First component is the centralised stack flow mechanic, which allows easily adding new controls while blocking interaction with the parent control. It can be used in:
  • modal dialogs (such as pop-up messages or yes/no dialogs)
  • nested menus (when the child menu is accessed, the parent menu is disabled)
  • pausing system (the pause control disables the ingame control)
  • old Windows parodies
The second component is extended process mechanic, which allows storing complex logic in data structures (as opposed to hard-coding it) and executing it, potentially over multiple steps. It can be used in:
  • feature-rich dialogue systems
  • AI algorithms
  • cutscenes
Such processes can be seen as a more advanced version of timelines.

The asset contains two parts - the core logic and a demo to show the system working. To import the core components, please import contents of the Marketplace folder from Scripts and Objects resource trees, while ignoring Demo folder. If you want to try out the demo and see example usage of the system, please import the entirety of the asset, preferably to an empty project.

Check the included guide to learn how to use the stack flow system correctly. Taking a careful look at the demo and function comments is recommended, too.

Stack Flow System does not require or include any other package; it's written in pure GML. The functions have been tested for Windows and HTML5 targets, and are expected to work properly there. Other exports should work, too, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Screenshots from the demo:

Last edited:
G

Galladhan

Very interesting asset. Some time ago i tried to develop an idea i had for a game, but i couldn't achieve what i wanted just using timelines. Now i've probably found what i needed. It's a bit intricate to use (at least for my limited skills), but the guide helps a lot to understand how it works. Thank you for sharing this for free, Alice :)