Free SpriteStack - Make Pseudo-3D Models

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
SpriteStack is a tool that allows artists to quickly test pseudo-3D models made with layered sprites. This is a method used in various successful indie games to create a cute 3D style without requiring the experience and tools to create a full 3D experience.

How Do These Pseudo-3D Models Work?
In engines like GameMaker: Studio and Construct, 3D game development can be difficult to master. Instead many developers use tricks to create the illusion of 3D with 2D sprites. In the method used by SpriteStack, each pseudo-3D model is made up of a series of flat 2D sprites drawn on top of each other. A sample of code used to achieve this effect in GameMaker can be seen below:

Code:
for (i = 0; i < number_of_layer_images; i++) {
   draw_sprite_ext( sprite_name , i , x , y-i , image_xscale , image_yscale , image_angle , image_blend , image_alpha);
}
Notice the "y" position of each sprite is 1 pixel above the last image. This creates the illusion of depth.

This isn't the most efficient way of doing things, but it's been used to great success in games like Nium, Step, Lisa and Super Jam Land Kart Racing. Hope it helps some of you!

Download Now on Itch