• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam Sprites/objects won't load in game after chosen "Clean" option

M

Mr.nobody

Hello, I'm new in GMS2 community.
Recently i have a huge problem with my GMS2. Everytime I start a new game [F5] - It won't load objects/ sprites in current room.
I searched trought many topics about "Black screen", but I didn't find any solution for this porblem.
Everythink started when i was updating (creating new) sprites for player object, for some reason my game didn't wanted to load it, so i decided to use "Clean" (this option with broom icon),
but after this my game now only loads background and nothing more. Interesting enough curently all my projects which are created after "Clean"option only load background.

I am afraid that my GMS2 got corrupted interially. I tried even to re-install it, nothink worked.

In short :
- Everythink started one day, when my game didn't want to load a player's sprite, so I decided to click on "Clean" option (Broom icon) and since then nothink load anymore, just background.
- My games (even new created ones) won't load objects in room, only background, however there is still sounds.
- Yes, I checked my objects and layers are turned on visible.
-Yes, I made some test projects - in every single one my games didn't show objects in room.
-
After I press F5, my game only loads backgorund ( with color)

Anyone had a similar problem?
- I am aware that maybe my GMS2 isn't corrupted , but I really don't know what to do.

M

Mr.nobody

Are you on 2.3? And can you roll back to 2.2.5?
Allright I checked in Steam property -> beta -> There was no version picked (free space) so I decided to roll in 2.3 version.
- When i select 2.3 version and i start new game [F5] GMS2 shows me this (image down below)/ Even when I satart a new test games this error pops out.
-When i select 2.25 version everythink works. New games oad objects in my game, but I can't run my older projects (which it seems were made in 2.3 version)
In short:
-2.3 a new error message pops out when i try start a new game[F5], I don't understand it because It say to "change" 2.3 when I am working on this version
-2.25 everythink works fine, [F5] game loads all objects in the room, but i can't keep working on "newer created projects" so i guess I try re-writte code for older version.
Anyway thank you for suggeston! It maybe not fully fix my problem, but at least i can keep working on my projects.
P.S Was I the only person whitch this type of error, or somebody reported a similar one?
EDIT;
I selected again "Clean" option in 2.3, and this showed up. I don't know what does it mean or is it important but just in case I left here

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

obscene

Yeah, basically 2.3 came out and immediately began corrupting dozens of projects, causing mysterious bugs like this and causing people to flood this forum with cries for help. Yet 3 months later it's still the latest "stable" version. You COULD try 2.3.1 in the beta channel if you have no other option. Good rule of thumb with gamemaker is that if your project is running smoothly and you're not actively looking for a fix for a bug you filed, hit "Later" on those updates.

D

Deleted member 13992

I've seen utterly bizarre sprite bugs since 2.3. Example, I would duplicate a (parentless) object, rename it to something completely new, it would show up in the room as expected. But if I added sprite_index = spr_sprite400 (just an example) to the create event, it would not only not change to spr_sprite400 at runtime, but also change to a completely different sprite used by completely different objects. A sprite not even referenced by the original object it was duplicated from.

So I'm holding off on doing any major work until a patch.