GMS 2 Sprites limit (Solved)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Raff, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Raff

Raff Member

Hello everyone !!!

I have the free version of gm2 and need alot of different animations. I reached the limit of the free version, so, it's better to make each animation in a separate sprite or a big sprite sheet with all the animations and take the initial and ending frame of each animation when needed ?

thankyou very much !!!

2. Raff

Raff Member

eooohh, no body there ?

3. drowned

drowned Member

It's better to buy the full version, I think.

4. Raff

Raff Member

hey, thanks for the answer.

5. Hyomoto

Hyomoto Member

@Raff - If you are industrious, there are a lot of ways to get around the free version limitations. They certainly take more work on your part but while you are limited to 10 sprites, as far as I know there isn't a limitation on how many frames each sprite can have. You could just make a large sprite and put everything into it, or if that isn't enough even make your own 'sprite sheets', by putting all the graphics into a single sprite and use draw_sprite_part to cut them out. The same goes for sounds. While you are limited to 10, you can put a bunch of different sound effects into the same file, and use audio_get_position and audio_set_position to cut them out. These two methods are what I used to put together games with the free version in the GM2 beta. The major limitation in objects and scripts are not as easily bypassed, but even there you can use similar methods to push them much further than intended. Mostly because if nothing else, the GM2 free version doesn't have a limit on the most valuable of resources: code.

What I'm getting at is that the free version is probably a lot more robust than you'd think, but it takes a little creativity and a bit more work. If you don't have the money for the full version, you can probably do more than you think without it. Granted, I agree with @drowned, the full version doesn't require any additional workarounds and is ideal if you are hoping to make a large project in GameMaker. But yes, you can work around those limits.

This is the way my sprites looked:
    d0f9ad91-0b65-4fb0-8619-b2aa5c05d954.png
    I put the sprite offsets into an array, then wrote my own script for drawing them that would take all of those numbers and draw the proper sprite to the screen. It's certainly possible!

6. Raff

Raff Member

That's it !!!, thank you very much @Hyomoto, that's what i suspected. Not the way, but the possibility. Thank you everybody too !!!

7. Caedmon

Caedmon Member

If you actually want the full version though try kickstarter