• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX sprites disappeared/cant get backup

L

Lemon85

I'm pretty sure my game file corrupted while saving it because a ton of my sprites went blank and it says it can't load them and the affected frames will disappear. When I go in the folder in my computer files, it says all the png files are empty.

Is there any way to fix this or get a backup of an older save of the game somehow?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Unless you are using some form of source control, then no, you probably can't get them back. I would ask if you are saving to Dropbox or GoogleDrive or a similar folder? The only times I've seen this happen is when you are saving projects to a cloud folder like the ones mentioned and there is an issue (you should never save directly to a cloud folder). On the plus side, if you ARE saving to a cloud folder then it's possible that you can retrieve previous versions of the files from that...

Micah_DS

I don't have something to help with the current situation, sadly, but this may be helpful in avoiding this issue in the future, assuming that your situation is the same as I recently experienced.
I also had a case where a bunch of images went blank in GMS2 and were missing in the project files, just like you mention.

I'm pretty sure it happened because I lowered the texture page size too small for everything to fit, as everything was assigned to the one texture page (the default one), so that was stupid on my part.

In the end, I had to remake some things, though I had most of my graphics backed up, so I just brought them in again after increasing the texture page size.
Actually, I tried bringing them back in before enlarging the texture size again, because I didn't realize that was the issue, and the problems still occurred, so the issues only stopped after increasing the texture page size, which is why it seems to me that was the issue.

If your case was similar, at least this info may help prevent issues in the future. If not, hopefully it helps someone else.