Graphics Sprite sizes in relation to the BG tiles

I

Idiotbox

Hey everyone, first post here. i've had GMS2 for about a month now and I have been putzing around in it when I can (busy with kids, fulltime job and school), I've also been trying to learn c# with Unity as well. My question was, I see all these tutorials with different sprite sizes 16x16, 32x32 and 64x64, but do your BG and character sprite sizes need to be uniform across the board? Everywhere I have looked I can't seem to find an answer to this question.... Apologies in advance if this is a trivial, stupid question.

T

Taddio

Not stupid, but the answer is not at all, there's no restrictions whatsoever. You could have a 32x32 bg tiles, with a 53x72 character, 41x94 trees and so on... Of course, snapping stuff to the grid will be less of a hassle if all your stuff is consistent, but you don't HAVE to at all!
Hope that covers the questions you have!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, the only reason people stick with a size is so that everything matches up with everything else... but that's a pretty big reason. (In GMS2 each tile layer can only use an uniform size tileset, but in GMS1 you could mix and match freely). For my character sprites, I usually have a 16x16 grid but I don't care all that much about characters not fitting in it perfectly, it's just a guideline to make sure they're ROUGHLY the same size... real people have all sorts of height and circumference differences, so your characters will feel more distinct and alive if you reflect that in your art style.

upload_2019-5-25_18-30-31.png