• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

sprite size?

T

teamrocketboyz

hello all im just wondering what size character sprites you use when creating a game. i always use 64 x 64 and mainly use the in engine tool to create sprites. The problem is that my games always look jagged, whenever something rotates the lines arent straight. im wondering if you all use bigger sprites and somehow make the room appear smaller using viewpoint or if you use photoshop or something for all your art?

T

Taddio

Usually, it's the other way around, you draw small, and then stretch it. You end up "losing" pixels when you scale down, and you have no control over which ones (I dont, at least!).
I do use photoshop (mainly for texturing), and a lot of inkscape. Working with vectors images with Inkscape is neat, but you still have to export to bitmap to work in game maker. Native vector images are on the roadmap, but not currently supported as-is in GMS (I think, don't quote me on that, tho)

You can import vector into GMS, you've just gotta use the .swf format (and prepare yourself for a bit of pain, as it's a little different working with vector stuff in GMS). Here's a clip of a game I abandoned a few months ago where most of the stuff was vector based: