Feedback Sprite opinions

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by nlolotte, Dec 10, 2017.

1. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

Made this tonight as a potential main character for my action platformer, looking for feedback
    [​IMG]
    The game a gothic horror sort of metroidvania in which you must vanquish evil the usual castlevania sort of bs.

2. DKR_87

DKR_87 Guest

Holy crap that's really good. Totally digging it. I like that style. Looking forward to what else you come up with!

3. Cloaked Games

Cloaked Games Member

Yes. A cape like that allows you to describe movement really well, making it flow when he jumps or runs or whatever. Do it right and he'll look totally BA. With his hat, he looks sort of gentlemanly, while simultaneously mysterious. It fits the style of game you're describing. I think he should have a quirk where he does something with his hat, like pull it lower on his head or something, as part of his idle animation or when certain things happen in the story.

4. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Looks good!
    Guybrush Threepwoods evil twin brother.

5. Devonodev

Devonodev Member

Looks really cool!

6. Niels

Niels Member

Looks really good!
    The idle animation does look a bit too bouncy for the style you are going imo

7. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try to make it less bouncy. :D

8. bobula13

bobula13 Member

Looking good.

9. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Looks good and well detailed. But if that's the players standing animation its really too much movement.

the gold chain thingy around his neck wouldn't move that much if he was only breathing.

10. Khao

Khao Member

I agree that it feels a bit too bouncy, but it already looks really good as-is, great work!

I'd consider trying to keep the sprite at a consistent height through the idle animation, shifting everything even a single pixel is a bit too much at that small of a size. I see you're already giving the chest a bit of movement, so maybe you can just keep that while removing the up-down motion from the whole body, I think it'd look a lot better with a subtler motion.

That aside, the sprite itself is great, wouldn't change a thing!

11. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

Nudging toward the trendy stick figure style, I see. Alucard would be sad. ):
    He is bouncing too much for my taste, like others have said.

His shoulders are also still a bit weak, like I mentioned before. His body is an A shape right now, which is the classic shape for cute animu girls will wide hips... not as effective for heroic main characters, I don't think! His legs being far apart could be giving that illusion too, though - they're wider than his shoulders right now, which feels off.

...You're using Alucard in your game as a placeholder right now. In your heart, you know he's rad looking. I'd study his sprite a bit more, or do some figure drawing. (Or both!) I dunno. This sprite isn't too bad. He just doesn't feel like a main character to me. ):

I'd offer a sprite edit, but I'm not amazing, either. And if I was, I'd just end up drawing the Alucard sprite you're (rightly) in love with, haha!

My honest advice would to be to keep using Alucard for now... do your environmental art to polish your pixel skills, and practice figure drawing (on paper) to practice your people drawing skills. Come back to the character in six months, and blow yourself away.

....Or do what I do, and just keep redrawing your mc as you get better. That's fine, too. I really think you're going to redo all your sprites a year from now if you move forward with drawing him now, though.

12. Niels

Niels Member

I also think his shoulders would look better if they are a bit broader and his hands were bigger than 1 pixel.

Still think it's a awesome character:)

13. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

thanks so much, really useful feedback guys! I'll make it a little more masculine and get rid of the bounciness. watch this space :)

14. JacktheBlindRabbit

JacktheBlindRabbit Member

15. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the new edited sprite based on feedback, now i need to animate it. any suggestions so far?

Niels and Cloaked Games like this.
  16. DKR_87

DKR_87 Guest

ooooo whatever you do, make the cloak/cape flow and move a little bit. That'll look great.

Lookin good so far niolotte!

17. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Looks very much like Bloodborne, so I guess I'd suggest looking up LPs of that and see how they animate it? (unless you're already an avid Soulsborne player in which case you can check for yourself)

I'm thinking something like this:
    • The game is very fast-paced, so animations should be snappy and focus on distinct keyframes.
    • Attack animations should feel brutal and heavy, so you should add visible "chargeup" during initial frames and make the character over-swing (aka, they put more force behind their attacks than optimal, so they kinda stagger a bit at the end of the animation) with a very fast transition in between, maybe just 1-3 frames.
    • Walking should be very determined and focused, so try to make it as non-casual-looking as possible (superfluous bounciness etc).

18. Moises Abraham

Moises Abraham Member

It does have potential. You should consider improving the animation with subpixel technique. Look for saint11 pixel art tutorials, he has an especific tutorial for subpixel animation ^^

nlolotte likes this.
  19. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

very useful! thank you!