• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Sprite not appearing (very basic bug help?)

D

Dust

Hi all,

I've just run into what I can only assume is a bug and wondered if y'all have run into it or have any advice.

I ran into a problem where a sprite wasn't appearing and I couldn't figure out why, so I broke it down into simpler and simpler parts, until finally was left with the simplest possible problem:
I've created a new test object, put it in my room, and in its draw event, is only: draw_sprite(spr_testsprite,0,300,300); just to make it appear in a spot onscreen.

I created spr_testsprite, and ran the game, and the sprite it doesn't appear. However, I can edit the event to instead call the name of a pre-existing sprite, like spr_goodguy. And it does appear. So I'm thinking that's weird, something's different about the sprites. So I duplicated the goodguy sprite, and make the draw call on spr_goodguy_duplicate. And it doesn't appear. Well crap, I think. So I switch it back to spr_goodguy. And that doesn't work any more either! The more I test, the worse it seems to get.

Soooooo now I'm worried that I'm dealing with a game that's been corrupted. Mind you, this is all taking place in a game that I've put many hours into.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Toque

You should do incremental saving and back ups and often...... DonkeyKong100 Donkeykong101 DonkeyKong102 ....... That way if the current file corrupts you will only lose very little. You just go back to the last stable version and carry on. Only saving to one file is risky.

So I dont know what is causing your problem.

If you drag in any PNG and try and draw it it won't draw?

D

Dust

Yeah, I'm just creating the sprites in editor. And it's gotten worse, hardly any sprites appear now. And the control f7 brush clean doesn't help. My most recent backup is now exhibiting the same problems

D

Dust

Just to update, I just spent an hour recreating the game piece by piece by recreating each object and script and copy pasting code, and reinstalling gamemaker. Now none of the sprites appear at all, just text. Soooo I guess it's either not a corruption thing, or somehow the code I wrote instantly corrupts the game or I'm going crazy.

D

Dust

After writing in to Yoyo QA, I got it resolved. It wasn't corrupt, exactly, just a weird permissions issue. I had to whitelist Gamemaker folders in my antivirus, then in Gamemaker brush clean my project. And bam, all my sprites were back. I hope this helps someone else.