• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Sprite/Level Design feedback

J

Jamie_Lobley

Hi i'm currently making a game and was just wanting some opinions on the art style. Which would be greatly appreciated.
Game Screen 1.png Game Screen 2.png

Looks pretty good to me, though here are my thoughts:
1. Either do all black outlines or none. And if you do black outlines, do it the same from sprite to sprite - meaning, if you did just the top and left borders on something, do that the same on all sprites.
2. The dark grass and tree leaves textures are a bit harsh looking.

J

Jamie_Lobley

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i agree that some of the art has black outlines and some does not will look into that. I will also look at the texturing of the trees and grass.

Looks pretty good to me, though here are my thoughts:
1. Either do all black outlines or none. And if you do black outlines, do it the same from sprite to sprite - meaning, if you did just the top and left borders on something, do that the same on all sprites.
2. The dark grass and tree leaves textures are a bit harsh looking.

NightFrost

The spraycan-style shading of trees and grass doesn't look very nice. (But yeah, trees can be a difficult subject.) Try using less colors and make smoother areas - that is, not every pixel needs to be a different color. Google for pixelart tree (and grass) tutorials and pick one or several that suit your skill level.

B

bobula13

I would definitely do away with the black outlines. It looks a lot better and more natural without them.

pixeltroid

It's mostly fine

Like others have said, the tree and dark grass texture looks very jarring. When your game is scaled up, it will look even worse.

Khao

That character is an obvious edit from The Minish Cap for the GBA and it's terribly distracting. Everything about that head confuses me too, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

J

Jamie_Lobley

Thanks all for the feedback ive taken it all on board and the character is getting redone thats just a placeholder for now

D

DKR_87

I believe the trick is, instead of doing black outlines, simply outline the sprite using a darker shade of that section's color.

J

Jamie_Lobley

This seems like an interesting idea and will give it a try thanks for the feedback

I believe the trick is, instead of doing black outlines, simply outline the sprite using a darker shade of that section's color.
Thanks for the feedback and will keep this in mind

Try to avoid orphan pixels as much as possible, they will only generate noise.