• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Sprite Editor RGB Value

jackquake

OK, so I'm making a game and am finding it a bit of a hassle to "sync" the colors between the menu buttons, sprites, etc. I find myself taking screenshots, importing the image into paint.net, then getting the RGB value, then coming back to GMS2 and using that color for the text, for instance.

So, is there an easier way to do this inside of GMS2?

It would be easier if the sprite editor displayed the RGB value of the color you're currently hovering over. Or better yet, hover over the color, CTRL-C, then go back to code and CTRL-V all 3 RGB values into the code.

Maybe I'm missing something... If anyone has better techniques to accomplish the above, I'm interested in hearing them.

Thank you in advance!

sylvain_l

color picker is your friend. but operation is a bit more tedious than just a ctrl-c while hovering a color

in the sprite editor there is an advanced color panel
- a single clic on the active colors (left and right of the mouse icon),
- double clic on any other color (there is hidden a field with the rgb value, hex value and HSL.

also the sprite editor allow to transfer the colors palette between sprite^^ (the 6x13 colors - clic on the small menu icon at top of the colors palette)

the only hassle for me is GMS2 alterning with hex RGB/BGR color

also don't forget that tab can be detached as window, and reatached as tab ;)

( but for theme color: UI, etc, I generally create globals or macros to store the color, with blending with white sprite )

jackquake

So, this morning, I gave the suggestions a try and have a couple follow-up questions.

1) @sylvain_l thank you again for the suggestions. All made sense, except the "re-attached as a tab" part. When I double-click the color, I get the pop-out window detailing the values, but I cannot seem to attach the window as a tab, which would be beneficial. No matter where I drag the window, it will not attach any where.

2) @Jobo Possibly a bug, but wanted to confirm this behavior with you before filing a bug report. Here are the steps from the Sprite Editor:
- Double click the selected color, then the advanced color window appears.
- Take note of the RGB values
- Click in the Hex field
- The RGB values change (at least it does for me), which is unexpected since the color didn't change. Is this normal? Strangely, pure white/black doesn't change, but I've tried a handful of other colors and the values change.

Again, thank you both for the guidance!

Jobo

GMC Elder
The RGB values change (at least it does for me), which is unexpected since the color didn't change. Is this normal? Strangely, pure white/black doesn't change, but I've tried a handful of other colors and the values change.
This has been fixed internally

sylvain_l

1) @sylvain_l thank you again for the suggestions. All made sense, except the "re-attached as a tab" part. When I double-click the color, I get the pop-out window detailing the values, but I cannot seem to attach the window as a tab, which would be beneficial. No matter where I drag the window, it will not attach any where.
sorry if it was ambigous, I was spoking about the whole sprite editor tab/window