• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Sprite editor - Easy tilemap builder

GMWolf

aka fel666
When creating or downlaoding tilesets, it is not uncommon to have each tile be in a separate image.
It would be great to see an option to import a set of images to automatically pack into an apropriate format for tilesets.

I have tried a number of tools found online, but none did quite the right thing, as they would try pack textures iregularily. This was more of a problem with image being shorter than others (1/2 tiles, for example). None of those solutions would let me set the top left corner as being empty either.
Having the tool buult in to GM would be a huge time saver, and make the use of tiles (a huge strong point og GMS 2 right now) that much easier.

thanks for considering :)

csanyk

I agree this would be a great feature.

It's important to recognize that tile art can come from many sources, and there's not one standard way to lay out a tile sheet.

It's not exactly feasible for YYG to support converting any arbitrary image layout into tiles, but I'd love it if I could drag a bunch of images into YYG to import them, select them, right-click and have a "merge into sheet" command that would take every image and put them together into one sheet, preserving empty space between images.

As well, a "convert animation frames to single sheet" option would be handy. The way the Tileset Editor works, it seems like you can't use a Sprite that has multiple subimages to create animations; you have to have all the subimages in a flat sheet, and select each one to create your tileset animation. So an easy way to convert a sprite with subimages into such a sheet would be extremely useful.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Another thing i have been thinking about: Since GM has all the tileset information, and builds texture maps itself, Could it not insert the blank in the top left corner itself? Perhaps an option in the tileset to allow GM to reorganize the tileset sheet and allow us to ommit the top left corner could be added?
The main advantage of this would be for importing existing tilesets painlessly. (Yes, we can lowe the whole image one across and down, But that seems like a huge waste of memory).

Last edited:

Chaser

I haven't been through all the functions of tile maps, but there's seems to be a function where you can actually get a particular tile from a Sprite sheet, something like tilemap_get_cell _x/y, in my theory you could add them to a layer on the room editor, and call it in tilemap_create_layer and use that as a new Sprite sheet,or maybe even auto tile from that the layer, not sure really, but sounds like there is some potential for something like this to work to generate your own Sprite sheet from different Sprite sheets.

J

Joseph Colvin

I know this is an old thread but I found it doing a search so I wanted to pose this for anyone else that sees it as I too was looking for a tool to do this, as it isn't in GMS2 as far as I know yet. The tool is free and is called Image Grid - can be found at www <dot> rw-designer <dot> com <forward slash> image-grid

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This is a wish of mine as well, it's just never been filed - feel free to file a suggestion.

As to the blank tile.... It's important that it never seems like a "magic" tile, but part of the tileset, especially when thinking about tile grid layouts (and so tile numbers etc). This tile is used in lots of ways not just for rendering but collision checking as well.