1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Design Sprite animation colours too far apart?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by chaslinux, Nov 10, 2019.

1. chaslinux

chaslinux Member

I have two sprites that are essentially identical other than the top and middle part. One has a red top and one has a green top. Both have a layer of shading on top that takes over more of the red/green colour as the 4 animation animates.

The red sprite looks great, but something feels off with the green sprite. Both sprites are essentially identical. I used GIMP's Colour Map > Swap to change the green to red for each level.

I believe the problem is that the green I'm using as a base is too far off the shading colour. Previously it looked too close to the shaded colour so I swapped it for a darker green. Does this sound like it might be the problem - could colours too far apart cause something to appear jerky?

2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Could you show us screenshots / GIFs of the problem? It's really hard to figure out what is happening if we need to imagine both the sprites and the visual corruption.

3. Niels

Niels Member

Decrease the overal saturation of the colors