Spirit of the Wind - Adventure Combat Platformer

crisiworks

screenshot4.png

Tiny Adventure is an Adventure Platformer containing a mix of fighting and platforming.
Download link: https://evilartbunny.itch.io/spirit-of-the-wind-wip-title

I only have a test level up as I would like feedback to continue iterating the game. Things I would like feedback on:

(a) How do you find the controls?
(b) Does the fighting and the platforming mesh well together?
(c) Do you like the art style and animation?

It draws inspiration from old classics like Mario, Sonic 1,2 & 3, and Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion (all of which I played like nuts as a kid). The art style is inspired by Studio Ghibli (although I think ultimately looks quite different as my own sense of aesthetics gets in the way).

I've been messing around with GMS2 for a couple of years now and this is my first game that I'm hoping to actually complete! (I've given myself a ridiculous three month schedule.) I've created everything within save for the music and sound effects that I got from OpenGameSource and FreeSounds.org.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

Last edited:

crisiworks

screenshot3.png

After some playtest feedback have made some major improvements to the controls. Have further developed the sprites and made an upgrade variant of the first basic enemy! Next update should be a big one with a whole new level, containing more block types, a new enemy type, and moving platforms.

If you give the game a go do leave feedback as it really helps with improving and progressing the game. Thank you.

Last edited:
G

GilM

Hey there!

So, played and beat the game. Here's what I think out it, i'll break it down into parts :D.

Graphics:

The style and everything in the game fits well together, the sprites and background look very lovely so great job on that for sure! The game looks polished in the graphics department, so I can't wait to see what else you add to it later on. It is visually appealing and charming, once again, kudos for that!

The sounds are fairly nice, especially for this game. Everything sounds just the way you'd expect. I love the sound effect from the sword swings and the different sounds based on the crate/box you break. Although nothing bad, I feel like the sounds from the fast running mini-bosses shouldn't be heard from very long when you get killed. I know you'll fix that, just wanted to make notice of that.

Gameplay:

It is 2 am as of right now, so forgive any typos and what not.

I like the controls, everything feels like it works very well together. Mouse+KB it's cool and very flexible. I would, however, love to see the option to setup your own keys in future updates. There's nothing better than giving people the chance to play the game with whatever buttons they'd like to. Good choice on the standard WASD controls.

My biggest gripe with the game was how slow, during startup, the character's speed is, and then it just goes a bit too fast. You never have full control of the character, especially when it is going at full speed. I think making the start up speed a bit faster would be better unless this is the thing you're going for. This made platforming a lot harder, and in some cases, very unpleasant. Being able to hold my slashes and get critical hits, plus jumping higher was a great thing to have. I loved that a lot, and even more so the ability to have different attacks with unique purposes.

Another thing I didn't like was having to watch my character go from point B to the last checkpoint I got to after getting killed. That was a bit of a bummer since if I made it a bit far, I couldn't skip watching the entire thing. I just wanted to jump right into the action!

Also, I really sucks to get stuck during swings in the air. I would understand it if it were just for a small amount then you went back to the move state, but maaan... I wanted to speed run through the last section of the second level and died because i was stuck on the regular swing state XD.

Keep the updates coming, and keep working hard, it definitely shows the love and dedication you've put into the game. If you ever happen to want to provide me with some feedback, I made a post with my game. I'll update it tomorrow when I wake up. Have a nice rest of the day brother!

crisiworks

Hey there!

So, played and beat the game. Here's what I think out it, i'll break it down into parts :D.

Graphics:

The style and everything in the game fits well together, the sprites and background look very lovely so great job on that for sure! The game looks polished in the graphics department, so I can't wait to see what else you add to it later on. It is visually appealing and charming, once again, kudos for that!

The sounds are fairly nice, especially for this game. Everything sounds just the way you'd expect. I love the sound effect from the sword swings and the different sounds based on the crate/box you break. Although nothing bad, I feel like the sounds from the fast running mini-bosses shouldn't be heard from very long when you get killed. I know you'll fix that, just wanted to make notice of that.

Gameplay:

It is 2 am as of right now, so forgive any typos and what not.

I like the controls, everything feels like it works very well together. Mouse+KB it's cool and very flexible. I would, however, love to see the option to setup your own keys in future updates. There's nothing better than giving people the chance to play the game with whatever buttons they'd like to. Good choice on the standard WASD controls.

My biggest gripe with the game was how slow, during startup, the character's speed is, and then it just goes a bit too fast. You never have full control of the character, especially when it is going at full speed. I think making the start up speed a bit faster would be better unless this is the thing you're going for. This made platforming a lot harder, and in some cases, very unpleasant. Being able to hold my slashes and get critical hits, plus jumping higher was a great thing to have. I loved that a lot, and even more so the ability to have different attacks with unique purposes.

Another thing I didn't like was having to watch my character go from point B to the last checkpoint I got to after getting killed. That was a bit of a bummer since if I made it a bit far, I couldn't skip watching the entire thing. I just wanted to jump right into the action!

Also, I really sucks to get stuck during swings in the air. I would understand it if it were just for a small amount then you went back to the move state, but maaan... I wanted to speed run through the last section of the second level and died because i was stuck on the regular swing state XD.

Keep the updates coming, and keep working hard, it definitely shows the love and dedication you've put into the game. If you ever happen to want to provide me with some feedback, I made a post with my game. I'll update it tomorrow when I wake up. Have a nice rest of the day brother!
Apologies for the late feedback. Family just went through a medical scare this week. It's all good now.

Thanks for the great feedback! I have made quite a few changes to the movement (esp the speed up and air movement) Also fully agree with the bummer of the current death state. I'd love to check out your game some time and give you a review!

G

GilM

Apologies for the late feedback. Family just went through a medical scare this week. It's all good now.

Thanks for the great feedback! I have made quite a few changes to the movement (esp the speed up and air movement) Also fully agree with the bummer of the current death state. I'd love to check out your game some time and give you a review!
That sounds great dude! Let me know when you have another build with all the fixes. Another thing I realized after giving the game another try...as I suspected:

Although states are amazing, that is where most of the glitches go unnoticed. I realized that you might not have accounted for the behavior of the vertically moving platforms when the player is in the attack state. As I expected, you get pushed through the solid objects when you're underneath a moving platform and inside the attack state. Take a look at that, and try to fix it whenever you can. IF you'd like me to reproduce the glitch, let me know and I'll make a video about it.

crisiworks

That sounds great dude! Let me know when you have another build with all the fixes. Another thing I realized after giving the game another try...as I suspected:

Although states are amazing, that is where most of the glitches go unnoticed. I realized that you might not have accounted for the behavior of the vertically moving platforms when the player is in the attack state. As I expected, you get pushed through the solid objects when you're underneath a moving platform and inside the attack state. Take a look at that, and try to fix it whenever you can. IF you'd like me to reproduce the glitch, let me know and I'll make a video about it.
I'll definitely have a look out for that glitch! (See if I can fix it first before asking for the video)

crisiworks

monkeys.png
Making some enemies inspired by Balloons TD !!! (Probably take a good week for the next update)

Last edited:

crisiworks

New Level! New backgrounds, enemy types, and the tiniest peek into the story (that is actually being severely rewritten as I've been reviewing it with my philosopher friend). And a small challenge for those who give the game a shot. Inspired by Tomb Raider 2 of my youth I hid 3 Jade Dragons through the new level. Give me a shout out if you can reach all three! (And of course comments on gameplay and art are very much appreciated). If anyone figures out how to trigger a glitch where the main character dives into the floor please tell me!

Link to game: https://evilartbunny.itch.io/spirit-of-the-wind.

Oh! Also if you'd like some of the sprites (like the Fujin one beflow) to use in your own game, check out my opengameart account where I'll slowly be adding more of my assets.

sprite_fujin.png Link: https://opengameart.org/users/crisisworks

Attachments

crisiworks

Further updating the level! Ironed out the tutorial section of the game. Now got to go and create a whole new sprite for the Baboon Monk Boss!
screenshot16.png

crisiworks

screenshot18.png Ugh ... working so g-damn hard to get out the next few levels. Seriously underestimated building blocks required. (also seriously underestimated a 2 year olds sleeping pattern). Here's a sneak preview inspired by Super Meat Boy

N

nlolotte

I love the look of this game, did you make the pixel art yourself?

crisiworks

I love the look of this game, did you make the pixel art yourself?
Thank you! Yes the pixel art is mine :) Everything in the game was done by me (the good and the bad lol) except for the music and sound effects. About to message a sound designer/music creator to research costs and stuff for that.

ReidDC

nice game! I did not finish it due to getting stuck outside level 2, I'm not sure what happened exactly, the monkeys bounced me out of bounds to where I couldn't see my player anymore, and then when I tried to walk back in it wouldn't let me.
Either way, I really liked the graphics and the animations, all well done. The game play is pretty good as well, the ability to climb walls and dash around is a really nice touch. All in all a really solid game. Keep it up!

crisiworks

nice game! I did not finish it due to getting stuck outside level 2, I'm not sure what happened exactly, the monkeys bounced me out of bounds to where I couldn't see my player anymore, and then when I tried to walk back in it wouldn't let me.
Either way, I really liked the graphics and the animations, all well done. The game play is pretty good as well, the ability to climb walls and dash around is a really nice touch. All in all a really solid game. Keep it up!
oh my gosh! I'm so sorry lol. I think I know what happened!

crisiworks

Yay - new level is up! I'm one level away from completing the first chapter - and what I plan to be the playable demo of the game.
This is a lava level - you know the type where you gotta keep climbing! I hope you guys have fun test playing it and give me a holler as to how I'm doing!

As always link to the game: https://evilartbunny.itch.io/spirit-of-the-wind
screenshot20.png

crisiworks

Yay! I've engaged a music composer this week and I'm very excited. In the meantime, it's screenshot Saturday time!

A rather raw shot of what these levels look like as I design them. And yes barrels. What game is complete without them?screenshot.png

R

Red Phantom

Hey I did a gameplay video review for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Red Phantom

You should try and complete it! It would be a thus far wasted effort otherwise!

R

Red Phantom

Done! I reviewed it for you!

Last edited by a moderator: