• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Spine: To be or not to be?

Mehdi

Hi friends, Could you please help me concerning:

My problem is :
In our game, there are various enemies: insects, animals and plants. Each enemy has a number of animation sets, for example: idle,attack,die,...
We have made the animations using PNG sequences. However this technique is consuming lots of texture pages. beacause every animation set has at least 10 frames. Our texture page is 2048*2048 and it is targeted for android devices.
For this reason we decided to change our workflow and use Spine instead of PNG sequences. But after producing the first set of animations, we found that every spine animation takes its own texture page(i.e. it does not share the page with other normal sprites) so for our game , every enemy would take a single unique texture page! The problem becomes even worse for our project. because enemies after being introduced in a level, will appear in all upcoming levels. Therefore as the player progresses along the game, the number of texture swaps increases.

My question is:
What approach we should take? get back to Png sequences (many texture pages - big pages) or choose spine(many more texture pages- but small pages )? Which method is the worse one?