• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Spine 4.0 support added? [Solved-ish]

andulvar

The release notes just listed Spine 4.0 support was included, but they didn't list a specific version since "4.0" doesn't actually exist. The only 4.0 version I was able to use was 4.0.51 or 4.0.56. Both of these versions gave the error: "The file is not supported. See Compile Errors window for further information and try re-exporting using a supported version of Spine."

Has anyone had success with 4.0 Spine exports and which version did you use?

Thanks!

andulvar

I just created a new sprite in Spine 4.0.51 and on import it worked. I am still unable to get older files to import correctly though, is there a special way to update them aside from opening, saving, and exporting?

andulvar

It seems like this was affecting one particular group of files for some reason. Other groups worked ok. Strange. Opening, renaming, saving and exporting seems to work so at least I don't have to completely redo the assets.

rIKmAN

You'll need to re-export skeletons from Spine v4.0.xx for them to import correctly into versions of GMS2 since the runtimes were updated to support v4.
Trying to load existing skeletons from any version before v4.0.xx will give an error when importing.

From the Release Notes:
This release also raises Spine support to require v4.0. Please be aware this updated Spine runtime will require you to re-export your Spine images using v4.0 before they will work again in GMS2!
As you've since found - you shouldn't need to do anything other than load up the older Spine project, then re-export using Spine v4.0.xx.
Hopefully you don't have too many to convert.

Im still having this issue. Ive re-exported my skeletons from v4.0 of Spine (v4.057). I got the image to appear in the sprite window, only for Game Maker to give me a compiler issue, saying Im using an unsupported version of Spine. I've even tried exporting from the beta versions with no luck.

rIKmAN

Im still having this issue. Ive re-exported my skeletons from v4.0 of Spine (v4.057). I got the image to appear in the sprite window, only for Game Maker to give me a compiler issue, saying Im using an unsupported version of Spine. I've even tried exporting from the beta versions with no luck.
Using Spine Pro 4.0.57 and the latest GMS2 Beta works fine here - just tested with a few of the examples that come with Spine (Spineboy, Raptor etc).
I wouldn't recommend using the beta versions of Spine until you have things working - stick to the "Latest Stable" which is currently v4.0.57.

What version of GMS2 are you using?
If it's saying you're using an unsupported version of Spine then I'd be inclined to believe it and would check I'm using the right version of GMS2 for Spine v4 support.

Also make sure that you have "4.0" selected as the version in the Spine export settings as you can export older versions even if using v4.0.xx of the Spine IDE.
You could also open the exported .json file in a text editor and check the version number shown in there to confirm it.

Can you test using the official examples I mentioned above and see if you get the same issue?
If they work (they do here) then it's possible you have something unusual going on with your own skeleton setup that may be causing a problem with GMS2.

Last edited:
Using Spine Pro 4.0.57 and the latest GMS2 Beta works fine here - just tested with a few of the examples that come with Spine (Spineboy, Raptor etc).
I wouldn't recommend using the beta versions of Spine until you have things working - stick to the "Latest Stable" which is currently v4.0.57.

What version of GMS2 are you using?
If it's saying you're using an unsupported version of Spine then I'd be inclined to believe it and would check I'm using the right version of GMS2 for Spine v4 support.

Also make sure that you have "4.0" selected as the version in the Spine export settings as you can export older versions even if using v4.0.xx of the Spine IDE.
You could also open the exported .json file in a text editor and check the version number shown in there to confirm it.

Can you test using the official examples I mentioned above and see if you get the same issue?
If they work (they do here) then it's possible you have something unusual going on with your own skeleton setup that may be causing a problem with GMS2.
I am using the latest version of GMS2 v2.3.7.606, I did a fresh install just incase. And used the latest stable version of Spine (now v4.058).

I was able to get Spine boy, one of the example projects, successfully exported into my game. So, instead of trying to replace the Spine made sprites I had, I just deleted all the old sprites and made new ones. (Which luckily was on a couple files) And that Seemed to fix my issues. Thank you very much for your assistance!