Graphics Spells and skills?

doomtucan

Yes im trying to find out if using sprites for spells would be better or is there a better system to handle said needs for spells and skills?

woods

just sprites, particle emitters, objects.... depends on what you are doing with your spells..

are they just effects? draw sprites or particles..
are actually colliding and having an effect? might be better to create some fancy "bullet" ..a magic bullet type object

really depends on how you have your game set up..
need more information ;o)

doomtucan

just sprites, particle emitters, objects.... depends on what you are doing with your spells..

are they just effects? draw sprites or particles..
are actually colliding and having an effect? might be better to create some fancy "bullet" ..a magic bullet type object

really depends on how you have your game set up..
need more information ;o)
action role playing game type spells..like fireballs ice spells,examples of magic and slash double slash example of melee attacks

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
sequences lets you do more advanced animations, could that be an option?

woods

Sprite_FX_Slash_0009.png
things like a sword slash?
last rpg thinggy i created the obj_slash when atk button is pressed
end of animation = instance_destroy

Sprite_FX_Slash_0004.png

another thing i used was an ice shard from the heavens... simply drew the sprite where i wanted it(on top of the enemy) and hp -= 100

both methods worked equally well.

woods

best way.. i donno ;o)
but thats the easiest way I know how... emphasis on "I"

draw what you want, where you want.. seems pretty straight forward to me tho

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Im my mind with spells you've got the caster, or the emitting object: which may animate, as woods says using the sprites last frame allows you to initiate the next part, being the casted spells lightning effect, which could be a sprite or some fancy line math, once the lightning sprite has played or rather fireball has reached the destination the last part plays which is when the recipient is notified of the strike, and so the recipient plays a stagger back animation or burnt to a crisp animation. Just for giggles if you're continuosly striking an enemy with lightning and the next hit arrives before the recipient has finished the staggering back animation you may instead update the sprite_index to say halfway through the animation, which seems better than the enemy not being effected by consecutive attacks.. i think street fighter also showcases it well to think about.

In general, sprites are always going to be your first "goto" for any sort of graphics. So start with them. If you run into a situation where they start to feel limited, then you can branch out for the things that are involved in those limitations. For instance, a fireball spell would probably be fine with a sprite. If you're bad at drawing and want some sort of "animation", you might chuck a few particles onto it. So that will work fine for a fireball, an iceball, a blast or whatever. But let's say you then want to put in chain lightning? Well, a simple draw_sprite() might not be up to the task.

So you'd branch out. Perhaps you can run a loop and use draw_sprite_ext() and draw multiple lightning sprites with their angles, lengths and positions all done with maths to connect them into something that looks like a lightning chain...Perhaps you'd set up some primitives and texture them...Perhaps you'd go the shader route and manipulate the individual pixels using shader maths to create the lightning effect. None of these are necessarily "better" than any others (some might be easier on the processor, though), but whatever you do, it's not necessarily going to change how you'd draw a fireball. You'd draw your fireball the same way as you did at the start, but change how you do things for the chain lightning.