• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Speed changes after compiling

T

Thomas N

Hello,

after compiling for testing inside GM everything works as expected, but when I compile the game (without any changes) as a zip file and run it outside GM the speed of everything changes and is nearly doubled. I checked some variables (physics speed of some objects, room_speed, game speed fps) but they stay the same in both cases.
Another strange behaviour is, when I run it outside GM (with the wrong speed) and press a key to leave the fullscreen and then go back to the game/fullscreen the speed changes to what I want it to be.

I tried for hours to find out what happens but could not find a solution. Hope you can help!?

T

Thomas N

Okay, now I found out that it is because of my displays refresh rate, which is 120hz while the game speed is 60fps. It's really confusing to me because of the variables which don't change even when GM adjusts the speed (see my first post).

But now I try to figure out how to solve the issue.

Any suggestions on that?

T

Thomas N

Hi The-any-Key,

thank you for your answer.
After I knew that it was the refresh rate that caused the problem I did some research but all I could find leads to your suggestions. Setting the refresh rate is no option at the moment, so I will try to do it with delta time ... or maybe I try to find another workaround for my specific situation.

Thanks again! :)