• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Speech Recognition

Dan1

Hey :)
Is there an extension or some sort of scripting that can be used with GM:Studio to recognise speech input on an android device? This would be for a quiz-style game and saying the answers would be much more entertaining than typing them in!
Thanks in advance,
Dan

J

jirrev

Speech Recognition is something even big compagnies strugle with, things like Siri are still in active development and are hardly on the level of understanding everything clearly. I'd not suggest to look into things like those, and certainly not with Game Maker Studio.
You have a bigger chance of succes when you look at things like Unity for that.
Nevertheless, if you still want to try you're free to take a look at the market place, they might have something that fits what you are looking for.

A

Aura

Surely there are many extensions for GameMaker that allow speech recognition, but most of them are either outdated or can't be downloaded anymore. So you're left with the only option of making one yourself.

Even if you find one (not meant for GM:S, for instance), it will be a DLL, so it would be Windows-only.

Tsa05

Sadly, as others have mentioned, it's a developing field and development casts $$$
Google's fantastic engine has an alphe-release API at present (https://cloud.google.com/speech/) but I've not tried it personally. I imagine that there's some sort of android-compatible library in the release, though? If you get it working, make a tutorial for us! :D