• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual Spawning Enemies at random locations outside room

V

Vignesh Krishnan

Hey guys, so I am using Create Instance to create an Enemy Instance. I've set the X to be chosen between the X co-ordinate of 8 different instances of a spawner object. I've done the same for Y.

Now the problem is, enemy instances are sometimes created inside the room since it chooses X and Y co-ordinates separately. Which causes some of the positions to be right in the middle of the room.

Is there any way to avoid instances being created inside the room? create_instance.JPG

Above is what I have used to create instances
spawn.JPG

The empty objects outside the room are the spawn locations whose X and Y co-ordinates I've set

Jakylgamer

well i know you stated drag and drop but to be honest i think this would be a lot easier with some simple code
create event: (controller spawn object)
Code:
//point index is the spawn position(think of it like an object placed in the room)
point_index = 0
spawn_positions = 1; // number of span positions (0 is a position)
//we set up a little 2d array
//spawn point 1
spawn_point[0,0] = -32;                        // x position if first spawn point
spawn_point[0,1] = 32;                         // y position of first spawn point
//spawn point 2
spawn_point[1,0] = (room_width+32);            // x position if second spawn point
spawn_point[1,1] = 32;                         // y position of second spawn point
//etc...
then all you would need to do to spawn the instances is choose a random spawn_point
in an alarm event
Code:
point_index = irandom(spawn_positions); //choose a random spawn point each time you spawn an enemy
instance_create_layer(spawn_point[point_index,0],spawn_point[point_index,1],"Enemy",obj_enemy)
this may seem like a lot so i made an example of it
https://puu.sh/BzVaj/f611d39776.yyz

Last edited:
V

Vignesh Krishnan

well i know you stated drag and drop but to be honest i think this would be a lot easier with some simple code
create event: (controller spawn object)
Code:
//point index is the spawn position(think of it like an object placed in the room)
point_index = 0
spawn_positions = 1; // number of span positions (0 is a position)
//we set up a little 2d array
//spawn point 1
spawn_point[0,0] = -32;                        // x position if first spawn point
spawn_point[0,1] = 32;                         // y position of first spawn point
//spawn point 2
spawn_point[1,0] = (room_width+32);            // x position if second spawn point
spawn_point[1,1] = 32;                         // y position of second spawn point
//etc...
then all you would need to do to spawn the instances is choose a random spawn_point
in an alarm event
Code:
point_index = irandom(spawn_positions); //choose a random spawn point each time you spawn an enemy
instance_create_layer(spawn_point[point_index,0],spawn_point[point_index,1],"Enemy",obj_enemy)
this may seem like a lot so i made an example of it
https://puu.sh/BzVaj/f611d39776.yyz
Thanks a lot! That's what I needed.

TheouAegis

The problem with your original cose was you randomized x and y. You needed to pick an instance at random, then set x and y to that instance's x and y