• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Spash Screen does not work

obscene

I think I've been using GM for about 3 years and I've never seen a splash screen appear not one time. Seems like it would pretty straight forward. Doesn't work when I run the game in GM Studio, or as an executable, or from Steam.

1 ) Is there another setting somewhere?
2 ) Specific format or exact size requirements? (Doesn't appear to be)
3 ) Should this appear even when running inside GM or only when exported?

upload_2017-2-14_12-56-12.png

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I think splash screens appear for the time it takes for the game to load. If there's no splash screen, it could be that the game loaded instantly. Still, can be wrong.

obscene

There's a good 10 seconds between the time I try to open it and when it finally opens, it's a pretty large game.

I've got the same issue. The splash screen will not display at all. Our project is also fairly large. Could be a bug in GameMaker?

N

nicoltoons

The splash screen loaded at global game settings shows for just 1 second

There are other ways to go about it

To get your splash screen to show longer, import it as a background, create an obj_ intro. In the create event, start a timeline and add the steps according to how long you want it to last. Let it be the first room in the game. Create rm_ intro and place obj_ intro in there with your splash screen as a background.

obscene

Being that I've never actually seen the splash screen, my hopes were that it's something that appears while Windows is loading the exe. (After double-clicking, before window is opened). When the window is open it's time for studio logo and title screen.

obscene

My update is set to Beta Channel and I'm on version 1.4.1763 and it doesn't appear to be fixed yet.

My update is set to Beta Channel and I'm on version 1.4.1763 and it doesn't appear to be fixed yet.
Not the beta update channel, the early access release of GameMaker. Apologies I didn't word it well. The Early Access release of GameMaker: Studio is a completely separate installation of GameMaker

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I think splash screens appear for the time it takes for the game to load. If there's no splash screen, it could be that the game loaded instantly. Still, can be wrong.
You must not have ever used GMS 1.x because this has been a problem since GMS 1.x came into existence.

I was kinda hoping when I found out Playtech bought GMS/YYG that there would be more than enough staff to fix bugs like these a lot quicker, but I see no improvemenet there to be quite honest.

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

I just downloaded the GMS:EA and exported my game and still no splash screen. I'm on the Beta channel of the EA:

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Considering they fixed this in the 2.x runner, there's really no excuse for it still not working in 1.x.

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

It would be great if we could find a version that has game_end() working AND a splash screen working. Any ideas? :)

A

Aleksandar Gavrilovic

Well I can't wait since my game is out this friday so I just made a cute little joke around it - when you exit the game it says goodybe, here's a little bug to remember us by and then i force it to crash with a fake variable call (better than the white windows out of memory screen)