Windows Space Rock Destroyer

P

pixelviking

pic1.JPG

SPACE ROCK DESTROYER

Alone in deep space, you are forced to fight an ever-increasing amount of asteroids trying to destroy you and your ship. Use the ships boosters to avoid the space rocks, and pick up valuable powers ups that will make the difference between life and death in this arcade style game.

Yes, this is yet another Asteroids clone based on Shaun's tutorials. I have done a few things to make it my own, but have chosen to keep a simple graphical style as that was not my focus when making this game.

- Music to add to the atmosphere (by Eric Skiff)
- Three types of powerups to help you survive or get more points
- Asteroids break up and need three (3) shots to explode
- Random amount of smaller asteroids gets generated
- Speed and amount of asteroids increase over time to make it more difficult

Controls:
UP arrow to add speed
LEFT, RIGHT to turn
SPACE to shoot
P to pause
ESC to go back to the menu
Q to quit the game

- Download for windows (4 MB) -
https://www.mediafire.com/?15ognlxgcw5fk6t

I hope you enjoy it, and please let me now of any bugs or other comments. Be gentle this is my first game :)

pic1.JPG Screen_0.png Screen_3.png

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Pretty good. These asteroid games have infinite possibilities (like most games I suppose). Most of the variation seems to be how the asteroids are drawn, and what power-ups are available. In this case, the graphical style is pretty traditional, with a slightly different variation on the asteroid shape. They look interesting. The "break up" animation and is nice. And the music and sound effects are pleasing enough.

The only problem I had was figuring out what the power-ups do. When power-ups appeared, I was able to fly into them and activate them (based on the sound). But it wasn't clear what power I gained. Extra lives? I couldn't really tell. But maybe I didn't play long enough.

Overall, this is OK. Not overly inspiring, but it all works well. And making asteroid-type games is a good way to learn GML and get familiar with game making in general.

P

pixelviking

The only problem I had was figuring out what the power-ups do. When power-ups appeared, I was able to fly into them and activate them (based on the sound). But it wasn't clear what power I gained. Extra lives? I couldn't really tell. But maybe I didn't play long enough.

Overall, this is OK. Not overly inspiring, but it all works well. And making asteroid-type games is a good way to learn GML and get familiar with game making in general.
Thanks for the feedback. As you mentioned it was a learning experience for me, more so than making an amazing new game :)

I'll work in a way to make it clear what each power-up adds. Ideally, I would like a short text that fades away but I can't seem to get it to work with draw_alpha as all text then fades. Any advice?

Sabnock

Hi pixelviking,

looking very good. i love the cracking idea for the large asteroids but feel it should continue onto the smaller ones .

Not sure why but at one point the ship vanished off the right hand side of the screen and i wasn't able to get it back.

I'm not a fan of the invulnerable ship at the start or when you die and instantly respawn without a pause.. you should try to make a fair go respawn system where ship won't respawn until it's reletively safe to do so. it took me a while but it was very satisfying once achieved and the answer is probably simpler than you think (although it took a couple of days for my brain to put forward an idea for my version:) ).

As mentioned above the power ups are confusing in that i had no idea what they were or what they were doing?

I played it at work so i couldn't hear the sound so can't comment

overall it was fun to play and i could see myself wasting 10 mins on this when i need to think at work :D

Last edited: