• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion Space is No Longer Vacant.

T

Thunder Lion

"Space is no longer vacant, but the stars still lie above the reach of man. The Solar System has been touched by the fire and steel."

When you first read this what where your thoughts? How did it make you feel, what did you see, hear, smell, hope or dream?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thunder Lion

Well I first read it just now, and my thoughts were "this sounds like someone trying desperately to write a 'great' quote"
And why do you think this? What does that mean for you?

G

Guest User

like a blurb on the back of a YA novel.

if this is supposed to be a read by people to get initial interest in a game or something, id recommend writing as if the reader knows next to nothing about the world and plot.
the fire of man and the ice of steel
frequencies called "Constilations" map the solar economies
these two parts specifically either have contexts that are lost without knowledge of the world or they're completely meaningless in which case they aren't helping it sound more epic as expected but rather more confusing.

the rest is fine for whatever purpose, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
@hipstercapitalist: "the fire of man" is the warmth of the human body, and the "ice of steel" are the cold ships that shuttle those bodies around, I'd imagine. I agree that some of the other stuff is a bit too vague and/or wordy, though.

Good writing is tough. I think it mostly works for setting the tone, but I'd go for something a bit shorter or a bit more straightforward. The longer you go on with flowery prose, the higher the chance your audience is going to roll their eyes at you.

Short or straightforward. I'd work toward one of those!

Z

zendraw

val=scr_func_space(jibberish, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing);
if (!val) {game_end()};

game has ended.

T

Thunder Lion

This was an opening text to my project Final Wing, a space shooter, yes the fire of man is literally their bodies and desire, the steel being the artificial power, the constellations I admit are very "vague" if not put into a context, it was just a representation of how the world works in this game lore, as a side note to you all it is referring to a region technique the world uses to divide various governing bodies as in this world the solar system is under specific group controls, the radio waves allow travelers to comprehend they are in another area with different laws and restrictions which these constellations provide and effect their ships accordingly, the game itself just represents this as color changes, but doesn't effect the game play. I got a bit into my lore for this world that I forget that I wrote it and know what it represents, I'll provide it a place but only with adequate referring

G

Guest User

"the fire of man" is the warmth of the human body, and the "ice of steel" are the cold ships that shuttle those bodies around
? ? cold...steel...spaceships ? ? ? doesn't make any sense imo, but i guess it sounds nice and fancy.
the radio waves allow travelers to comprehend they are in another area with different laws and restrictions which these constellations provide and effect their ships accordingly
perhaps it'd be better to introduce non-essential lore like this in-game through some means instead of trying to explain everything about the world in a short blurb at the very beginning.

Z

zendraw

actually is there any steel apart from some inner parts of a space ship? it may be nitpicking but i think no1 really looks a white space ship as a ship of steel?

T

Thunder Lion

actually is there any steel apart from some inner parts of a space ship? it may be nitpicking but i think no1 really looks a white space ship as a ship of steel?
I imagine in the future. Where it becomes mainstream it may be more common, but really also consider installments on moons, asteroids etc. Which themselves may have a lot of iron.

T

Thunder Lion

As a side dichotomy is anyone going to watch the spacex heavy launch today?? I'm kinda excited about it, also constellation

A

AnonyMouse

That reminds me an old joke. Few men working for the Comparty went into a village and there was an old man.
- We just came to take a bit fresh air!
- Well it left just the air, take it too!

T

Thunder Lion

The SpaceX has launched successfully, also can your clarify your joke I don't think I understood.

G

Guest User

actually is there any steel apart from some inner parts of a space ship?
as far as i know, no. when it comes to outer hulls in particular aluminum alloys and titanium are the big two in terms of metals, used alongside other materials like kevlar and carbon-carbon.

S

Smarty

"Space is no longer vacant
Yes it is. Given that the universe is expanding, it actually gets more vacant as we speak.

Of course, if you count dark matter and dark energy then the universe is very full indeed, but we haven't actually been able to figure out how to spot either of them.

T

Thunder Lion

Yes it is. Given that the universe is expanding, it actually gets more vacant as we speak.

Of course, if you count dark matter and dark energy then the universe is very full indeed, but we haven't actually been able to figure out how to spot either of them.
Well to be fair this was an excempt or whatever you call it for my space game project. It was in reference to man finally establishing themselves in their own solar system.

But as a direct to your statement, i believe they may have discovered that empty space is actually filled with glouns coming amd going about peaking and hawning in energy, also its filled with photons and other ions and such. Its not going to be ever vacant at most ver diluted assuming expansion continues.

But I wonder how life will be if we ever start to live realistically on other planets?? I mean we'd need to use up a lot of Earth resources just to get started not to mention maintain and give emergency relief for them. I think they should make a base on the moon to learn how to make self sustaining micro communities, they could use domes or green houses or whatever they want maybe large warehouse like structures to see how things can be run effectively and eventually self reliantly.

I imagine that it would require adequate resources, and efficient use of waste products such as for carbon dioxide and other waste that are not easily recycled.

Are their forums which tailor to these types of discussions?

S

Smarty

Well to be fair this was an excempt or whatever you call it for my space game project. It was in reference to man finally establishing themselves in their own solar system.

But as a direct to your statement, i believe they may have discovered that empty space is actually filled with glouns coming amd going about peaking and hawning in energy, also its filled with photons and other ions and such. Its not going to be ever vacant at most ver diluted assuming expansion continues.
When it comes to practicalities for mankind, I am not changing tone - it is very, very, very empty. Even in our own solar system, the distances of nothingness are humongous. Heck, I can grow an impressive beard just flying to the next planet, if I didn't kill myself for being bored witless.

But I wonder how life will be if we ever start to live realistically on other planets?? I mean we'd need to use up a lot of Earth resources just to get started not to mention maintain and give emergency relief for them. I think they should make a base on the moon to learn how to make self sustaining micro communities, they could use domes or green houses or whatever they want maybe large warehouse like structures to see how things can be run effectively and eventually self reliantly.
We're not made for living on other planets, certainly not in our solar system. The gravity is all wrong, the day cycles are way off from what we're used to, the seasons are out of whack, as is a reliable moon, and the temperatures are extreme. Just looking at the horizon will disorient us. The lack of water is a problem, not to mention being able to grow anything or breathe anything without some serious artificial help. People seem not to realize how difficult it is to sustain life on a planet that has none. A trip to the Antarctic would be a walk in the park compared to this. Not to mention that the dire, un-Earthly circumstances would be devastating for the human physique and cause for serious health issues and premature death.

I'd prefer we clean up the one planet where we feel quite right, which is probably easier to accomplish than moving our civilization to a lifeless rock further up or down the solar system.

T

Thunder Lion

When it comes to practicalities for mankind, I am not changing tone - it is very, very, very empty. Even in our own solar system, the distances of nothingness are humongous. Heck, I can grow an impressive beard just flying to the next planet, if I didn't kill myself for being bored witless.

We're not made for living on other planets, certainly not in our solar system. The gravity is all wrong, the day cycles are way off from what we're used to, the seasons are out of whack, as is a reliable moon, and the temperatures are extreme. Just looking at the horizon will disorient us. The lack of water is a problem, not to mention being able to grow anything or breathe anything without some serious artificial help. People seem not to realize how difficult it is to sustain life on a planet that has none. A trip to the Antarctic would be a walk in the park compared to this. Not to mention that the dire, un-Earthly circumstances would be devastating for the human physique and cause for serious health issues and premature death.

I'd prefer we clean up the one planet where we feel quite right, which is probably easier to accomplish than moving our civilization to a lifeless rock further up or down the solar system.
Id agree practically speaking space is empty. But also I think going to different planets should be more a sense of venture rather than escape from a planet which does everything. I think we would be relatively okay on planets like Mars IF we have proper facilities when regarding gravity and generation living. Although those Martian humans would be considerably weaker than us assuming the gravity was the only issue they faced after establishing more than adequate facilities to live with. I just think it wpuld be cool, on a large scale it could be practical, though i also habe a huge imterest in huge man made floating islands as a new way to create city states but i imagine they'd have a lot of issues during an earthquake which would cause these islands to shake like a leaf not to mention the flooding. I think the moon is a great place to try to move to for research but the 1 tenth gravity is sure to be concerning I wonder how long they could stay? I recall the iss had a guy live in it for 1 year. Can't imagine how that must have been. I don't think terra forming is realistic but i do think green houses are. As they wont need to worry about not having a lot of gravity, also they can block access radiation, create environments similiar to the Earth just small scale.
When we really think about it the Earth really does a lot of work to allow us to live effectively, all this air, water, ground and all this stuff very impressive.

W

Wraithious

first thing that came to mind was Elon Musk's car that is now orbiting the earth! as for the rest, I have a small obsession with space and the future of man in it, I am an active member of the planetary society, and have devoted a lot of my time to making several apps and a few games having to do with the subject.

T

Thunder Lion

first thing that came to mind was Elon Musk's car that is now orbiting the earth! as for the rest, I have a small obsession with space and the future of man in it, I am an active member of the planetary society, and have devoted a lot of my time to making several apps and a few games having to do with the subject.
The stuff spacex is doing kinda reignited that childish side of me in concern with the planets. Kinda why i even wanted to make this game

W

Wraithious

Yep I hear you Elon Musk's work is very inspirational! I wish you great sucess with your game!

F

frog

"Space is no longer vacant, but the stars still lie above the reach of man. The Solar System has been touched by the fire and steel."

When you first read this what where your thoughts? How did it make you feel, what did you see, hear, smell, hope or dream?
Space is a collective fever dream of generational desperation, the final escape hatch for the cornered animal that is godless humanity and the hill upon which the sciences will make their final stand. I see Newton swinging merrily from an apple tree. I hear them shouting "come and see, the wizard was just a man behind a curtain!"

Behold, you clambering masses, yearning for truth and inspiration... Behold, your greatest aspirations are a car commercial.

F

frog

That was a beautiful car commerical, though.
Disagree, I find most car commercials to be quite resplendent. Elon's government-backed ad for the electric roadster nobody asked for was rather lackluster and in poor taste, not to mention highly derivative of NASA's nonsensical moon-landing propaganda from the mid 20th century.

T

Thunder Lion

I'm starting to believe I could write a book about this. Thank you all, I've been inspired by every tithel and stroke of your keys. I know now Space Is No Longer Vacant

Roll Credits