• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Sources for Royalty Free Assets/Media

I thought it might be nice to start a thread listing trustworthily sources for people to get content that's free to use under a CC0/CC3.0/CC4.0/public domain/ect license to use in their games. To start I'll plug the obvious ones of Kevin Macleod's royality free music and Freesound.org

Freesound.org

incompetech

There's actually a pinned topic just for this!

If you have anything to share not already on that list, feel free to comment there and let others know, since it'll be easier for them to find it if it's there.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
There's actually a pinned topic just for this!
I was originally going to say the same thing...but that topic is all about tools and the like. There isn't even an actual section on just flat out resources to pick up pre-made assets(unless I missed something). Due to that lack, I left it alone.

It surprises me that there isn't actually a pinned topic for this exact thing already after all these years. I thought I had seen it before, but either I was confused with the "tools" one, or it was the previous forums.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
And by the way, I contacted via email a musician that I found on Free Music Archive. Even if he has his music under CC3.0, he asked me 40 euros, in order to allow me to use about 15 seconds of a single tune... So beware and always contact the author, no matter what license you see as a tag!
That sounds pretty sleazy to me. If it were me, I would just avoid that person and their music specifically. You even have grounds for some public shaming if there is a comment section for the music tracks(or a forum). That's just wrong. It is one thing to have to be careful in case the music source is mis-represented, but you shouldn't have to worry about the author having regrets of releasing things on permissable licensing...that's on them!

gkri

That sounds pretty sleazy to me. If it were me, I would just avoid that person and their music specifically. You even have grounds for some public shaming if there is a comment section for the music tracks(or a forum). That's just wrong. It is one thing to have to be careful in case the music source is mis-represented, but you shouldn't have to worry about the author having regrets of releasing things on permissable licensing...that's on them!
Well, I didn't thought about public shaming and I wouldn't do it anyway. But the emails are available to anyone that might be interested... And yes better avoid than trying to prove on what license you used later...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Well, I didn't thought about public shaming and I wouldn't do it anyway. But the emails are available to anyone that might be interested... And yes better avoid than trying to prove on what license you used later...
It isn't so much about public shaming, and more just letting other potential users of said music know that this author has done this. But the term "public shaming" is such a fun word to use in situations where sleazy people deserve it.

I'm also pretty sure it's highly illegal to publish a work under a license that grants full usage rights to anyone that properly credits and then try to charge people to use it. I'd contact the admins of the site to have his content removed and send the emails where he tried to extort money as proof

Sounds like he's trying to entrap people to strongarm money out of them if they use his content in good faith because of the CC3.0 license he published it under

Last edited:

Mk.2

I wonder where you stand legally if you use a work listed as CC0 on a website like the ones in this thread, and it later turns out the person who submitted it does not own the rights to it and just uploaded it for whatever reason. There's no real reason to believe someone would do that, but there's also no proof that the uploader has ownership of the work or right to declare what license it falls under.

I wonder where you stand legally if you use a work listed as CC0 on a website like the ones in this thread, and it later turns out the person who submitted it does not own the rights to it and just uploaded it for whatever reason. There's no real reason to believe someone would do that, but there's also no proof that the uploader has ownership of the work or right to declare what license it falls under.
As long you comply with a DMCA that provides proof it wasn't published under the license by the creator I'm sure there's a good faith defense somewhere in the law to put the liability on the source that wrongly represented it to the end-user.

Zizka

I think you could identify the song/author. I wouldn’t want to use some of his material to be forced to removed it after. I don’t see this as a breach of confidentiality. I see this as something the public should be aware in order to avoid dealing with that person.

gkri

@Zizka
Fair enough! But... I will post a screenshot indentifying him (no active links directing to his own sites) and for the whole conversation, it is available via PM ONLY to everyone that might be interested....

Screenshot 2021-02-20 155605.png
And here is his FMA profile

EDIT: Now that I saw the emails again, I saw that his license is CC2.0. It's been a while I remembered it wrongly. Does it make any difference to the whole situation?

Last edited:

Zizka

From what I can tell:
Source

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

gkri

From what I can tell:
Source

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
I guess, it does not make any difference...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
As someone said, as long as you comply and remove the thing, you personally shouldn't have any issues. There isn't any real way to fully vet this kind of thing unless you can contact the source for confirmation, which may not be possible if that source is mis-represented. It's a pretty common issue though. It's why I don't like getting music from sites that are easily abused like this. It is better to go with the site of an author directly, at the least there is more safety in such, compared to a free for all kind of thing.

@gkri Out of curiosity, why did you contact the author in the first place? Technically you already had the music and the license. Was it just for like verification purposes? Also, I know that the CC licenses typically require credit/attribution, so authors often sell a separate license that lets you skip the attribution. Is it possible that the author thought that this is what you were trying to do(and maybe isn't trying to skip out on the CC license)? I don't have the actual conversation in hand so I don't know, but that's a though I had.

CC1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 are basically all revisions of the same license that functionally work the same for the end user.

The only license that's different is Creative Commons Zero, which is basically public domain and thus doesn't require any kind of crediting the content.

Last edited:

gkri

@gkri Out of curiosity, why did you contact the author in the first place? Technically you already had the music and the license. Was it just for like verification purposes? Also, I know that the CC licenses typically require credit/attribution, so authors often sell a separate license that lets you skip the attribution. Is it possible that the author thought that this is what you were trying to do(and maybe isn't trying to skip out on the CC license)? I don't have the actual conversation in hand so I don't know, but that's a though I had.
I am producing educational animation for kindergarten kids and I am making educational games based on the animation series. If I upload an episode on YouTube, is practically impossible to change the audio, if there is a copyright strike, thus, the video will go down. So I contact any creator that I am interested to use his work, if I find his work in a 3rd party site, to be 100% sure. This particular case was for an episode about time of the day and healthy diet. The scene was about some vegetable characters dancing samba. That particular artist has the only samba tune with creative commons license that I managed to find, so I contacted him, he asked money, I politely told him that I will explore more options. Finally I found a funny song, not samba, but fitted better for my scene...

I don't have the actual conversation in hand so I don't know, but that's a though I had.
As I said the emails are available via PM to anyone that might be interested...

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I am producing educational animation for kindergarten kids and I am making educational games based on the animation series. If I upload an episode on YouTube, is practically impossible to change the audio, if there is a copyright strike, thus, the video will go down. So I contact any creator that I am interested to use his work, if I find his work in a 3rd party site, to be 100% sure. This particular case was for an episode about time of the day and healthy diet. The scene was about some vegetable characters dancing samba. That particular artist has the only samba tune with creative commons license that I managed to find, so I contacted him, he asked money, I politely told him that I will explore more options. Finally I found a funny song, not samba, but fitted better for my scene...

As I said the emails are available via PM to anyone that might be interested...
No worries, I figured it was a case of you just wanting to get good verification. And I'm guessing you would know if the guy is just trying to strongarm you or if there is a misunderstanding as far as him thinking you wanted a different license.

gkri

No worries, I figured it was a case of you just wanting to get good verification. And I'm guessing you would know if the guy is just trying to strongarm you or if there is a misunderstanding as far as him thinking you wanted a different license.
I mentioned the license twice. No room for misunderstanding, for sure!

Mk.2

As someone said, as long as you comply and remove the thing, you personally shouldn't have any issues.
Yeah, in some cases I expect it would be pretty straightforward to fix, but what if you used it in a commercial release that has already made lots of revenue?

Yeah, in some cases I expect it would be pretty straightforward to fix, but what if you used it in a commercial release that has already made lots of revenue?
If you can prove they released it under Creative Commons themselves they'd have little legal ground to stand on.

If they didn't you can make a strong argument the site that misrepresented their work while distributing it should be liable for the damages

As long you comply with a DMCA that provides proof it wasn't published under the license by the creator I'm sure there's a good faith defense somewhere in the law to put the liability on the source that wrongly represented it to the end-user.
If you can prove they released it under Creative Commons themselves they'd have little legal ground to stand on.

If they didn't you can make a strong argument the site that misrepresented their work while distributing it should be liable for the damages
The law only applies if you go to court, which is something you absolutely want to avoid at all costs. You're talking 5 to 6 figures over the course of 3-10 years, win or lose. With that kind of money, you could have bought professional-quality premade assets or straight up hired someone to make all the music in your game. The best option is to report people that violate the free resource site's TOS and move on. Find something else and avoid the potential for a legal battle.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Yup, that's a sucky thing to consider. It's why I won't get assets from "free for all sites" rather directly from Author's sites, like Kevin MacLeod for example. Even that is technically a certain risk, but it is much less risk than the sites that let anyone upload stuff to.

This may or may not be true. Sites tend to not have liability with these things because the people doing the uploading are responsible. And it is a huge pain trying to track those people down. I bet if you read the Terms/Conditions of those websites, you will see specific statements talking about how the site holds no responsibility...etc....

The law only applies if you go to court, which is something you absolutely want to avoid at all costs. You're talking 5 to 6 figures over the course of 3-10 years, win or lose. With that kind of money, you could have bought professional-quality premade assets or straight up hired someone to make all the music in your game. The best option is to report people that violate the free resource site's TOS and move on. Find something else and avoid the potential for a legal battle.

They were asking about the context where you've already sold a game and made money and then the copyright holder suddenly tried to go back on the license so you're already in court with no say in the matter

They were asking about the context where you've already sold a game and made money and then the copyright holder suddenly tried to go back on the license so you're already in court with no say in the matter
Not normally. This kind of dispute usually escalates before a court battle.

First, you'll get a Cease and Desist. This could be anything from "take my music out" to "remove your game and its code from existence." Then come attempts to force a settlement. That is, "pay me up front and I'll go away." This is usually combined with a cease and desist agreement.

It isn't even worth entertaining the idea of going to court because there are so many bull-headed decisions you have to make before that happens.

Not normally. This kind of dispute usually escalates before a court battle.

First, you'll get a Cease and Desist. This could be anything from "take my music out" to "remove your game and its code from existence." Then come attempts to force a settlement. That is, "pay me up front and I'll go away." This is usually combined with a cease and desist agreement.

It isn't even worth entertaining the idea of going to court because there are so many bull-headed decisions you have to make before that happens.
Not if the project has already made money and they jump straight to suing for some astronomical level of damages like the entire estimated gross profits

Not if the project has already made money and they jump straight to suing for some astronomical level of damages like the entire estimated gross profits
That could happen with any project, even if you contracted out the music for your project specifically. Happened to Starr Mazer: DSP (IIRC a GM game, funnily enough).

It also isn't worth discussing because none of us are lawyers. On the off chance someone here is a lawyer, they're not going to put their job at risk by giving you free advice. If you're the one in a million that got into that situation, get a lawyer immediately. A lawyer is the only person qualified to give you legal advice. Taking it from anyone here (even if it sounds like good advice) is a terrible idea.

Mk.2

Yeah, I wasn't looking for actual legal advice on this topic, just speculating about what complications might arise from the hypothetical situation I described. The broader point being that just because something's listed as CC0 on some download site doesn't necessarily mean it actually is.