• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Source Control

Hi I don't have a lot of experience with Source Control - just little bit of work with Git using Tortoise Git. I'd like to use the one built in
to game maker. I created a workplace along with a repository. Now this repo is empty. I need to know how add my project to the
repository. I'm using bitbucket btw.

-TW

What have you tried?
Really all I know of what I did wasn't much and haven't used it in a while.

GMS I think should have a way to create an empty remote repo and upload my project onto that. Now I thought that "clone"
command would do it, but I guess that's only to get a copy. I'm really bad at this. It's been a while since I used it.

clone copies the remote repository to your project. I need the opposite believe.

S

Sybok

I haven't really used source control. But I'd be setting up a basic test project and going for it. That's pretty much my approach to everything, having a go and then have a go again until I get it right. Reading up along the way, investigating why I am problems along the way. I find the experience of not getting it right he first time and eventually working it out to be priceless.

I'm always more worried when things do go perfectly the first time. 🤣

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I've been told that the internal Source Control in GMS has always been wonky and that it is better to just do things externally. I'm using github and the github desktop program to handle all of it for me. The other advantage is that I can put external files into the repo as well, not just the GMS project. For example, for my assets, I have help/documentation. There are also graphics and audio files as created and edited outside of GMS before adding them into the assets, and those are also part of my repo, which wouldn't happen if I depended on GMS's internal source control.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Clone the repository you've created (this is now your local repository). This creates a folder on your storage device.

Next, place your project's files in the same folder as the local repository (the same level as the ".git" folder). Your files are now in your local repository's working tree.

To actually "add" them to your local repository, you'll have to do two things: Stage the changes, then commit them. Staging means indicating which changes you want to commit (which can be changes to multiple files). Committing means adding the changes to the repository. You can do both of this via Source Control -> Commit Changes. If you want everything to be added, stage all the files, then commit.

You will be prompted to enter a commit message. This is where you describe what your commit changes about the project, such as "added enemy XYZ" or "fixed bug where player ABC when XYZ". Since you're more or less importing a project, you can just write "Initial commit" or "Project import" or something like that for this one.

Once your changes are committed to the local repository, make sure you have set up the remote repository (Bitbucket) as the project's remote repository and entered your credentials under File -> Preferences -> Plugins -> Source Control (Git). You'll then want to push the changes to your remote repository. You can do this via Source Control -> Push Changes. This adds all changes from your local repository to the remote repository. The reverse of this (adding all changes from remote to local) is Source Control -> Pull Changes.

I haven't really used source control. But I'd be setting up a basic test project and going for it. That's pretty much my approach to everything, having a go and then have a go again until I get it right. Reading up along the way, investigating why I am problems along the way. I find the experience of not getting it right he first time and eventually working it out to be priceless.

I'm always more worried when things do go perfectly the first time. 🤣
Indeed. lol.

How do I go about staging changes. Do I use this externally or is this something built in GMS

Last edited:
S

Sybok

Unfortunately, this I don't know. As I haven't used source control. I personally take regular backups (which I know isnt ideal, but it's something).

I'd jump in the deep end and just have a play around. I'm sure someone will see this thread and be able to help you out with any of the finer details.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
So does my previous reply, in case you missed anything else in there. ;)

To actually "add" them to your local repository, you'll have to do two things: Stage the changes, then commit them. Staging means indicating which changes you want to commit (which can be changes to multiple files). Committing means adding the changes to the repository. You can do both of this via Source Control -> Commit Changes. If you want everything to be added, stage all the files, then commit.