• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Source control trouble

I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with setting up source control in game maker 2.

Firstly I checked out some youtube videos on how to do this. However everyone seems to be bypassing game maker by installing a 3rd party client for there PC, pointing there save directory to the repository.

This is not what I want to do. I would really like to set up the integrated git plugin that comes with GMS2.

I am new to source control so you're going to have to treat me gently.

1) Is it possible to connect game maker to git hub without downloading a client using your username and password under the plugins settings window?

2) If so I have tried this and GMS2 does not complain about the password being incorrect or give a confirmation when the repository is connected regardless of what credentials I enter.

3) On the old GMS you had options to commit individual files in the context menu of each script, object, room etc...

4) On the following tutorial page https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/2_interface/2_tools/source_control.html.

It says go to game options and enable source control. I can only see source control related stuff under preferences, plugins, git. or the source control menu at the top of the window. I'm not too concerned about this as it does appear to be enabled because I clicked the automatically enable source control button.

5) When you go into the windows options you have a field you can type the version number of the game in. Can this be incremented by 1 every time a commit happens.

6) What happens when you have SCM enabled but you use the normal save function as if you were just coding normally. Where does the code go.

Sorry if I sound ignorant about SCM. That's because I am.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance.

csanyk

I work with the github for windows application outside of the GMS IDE, and it just seems easier to do it that way. I would like it if it were easier to set up integrated source control in GMS, though. Like you, I don't have deep knowledge of git, which makes it hard to troubleshoot issues with the GMS git integration. On the other hand, the github for Windows app just works.

Hopefully someone who has the level of understanding of both GMS2 and git/github will chime in with steps; I'll be watching because it'd be good to learn how to make the sc-ide integration work.

I played around with it all day and I have it working now. I still have one unresolved issue tho. I need to auto increase the version number every time I commit. This would really make life better if someone could help with that.

As far as I know, in GMS 2, the version number does not auto-increment within the IDE or git.

In GMS 1.4, there is an option to auto-increment every time you create an executable which was very useful.

Perhaps submit a bug report/request to have this feature added.

csanyk

I played around with it all day and I have it working now. I still have one unresolved issue tho. I need to auto increase the version number every time I commit. This would really make life better if someone could help with that.
Good job! Did you find the existing documentation to be adequate? Could you suggest anything to make it easier to understand and follow?

M

mockgames

@csanyk are you using GitHub Desktop app? I have just installed that. But the day before I downloaded that I tried the client which YY suggested in a forum post, Tortoise, and it is fairly straight forward to use through it's context menu system. It does not have a dedicated GUI.

The problem I am experiencing is that the best I can do is create a repository WITH Tortoise and then write to is from GMS2 dropdown menu. I can not seem to figure out how to commit to my online GitHub account through the GMS2 interface, either with Tortoise created repos or with GitHub Desktop app created repos.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's very easy with the command line interface, and it should come with Git itself (git bash, which is the BourneAgain SHell with git command highlighting added). Right-click a folder, Git Bash here, and then type in
Code:
git add -A
git commit -m "Added a bunch of stuff to the game."
git push origin master
When i work in my games, I basically do this whenever I've added something and made sure it works ("never break trunk"), which offsets the work needed in running it manually - it's not that much work if you only need to do it a few times per day.

csanyk

@csanyk are you using GitHub Desktop app? I have just installed that. But the day before I downloaded that I tried the client which YY suggested in a forum post, Tortoise, and it is fairly straight forward to use through it's context menu system. It does not have a dedicated GUI.

The problem I am experiencing is that the best I can do is create a repository WITH Tortoise and then write to is from GMS2 dropdown menu. I can not seem to figure out how to commit to my online GitHub account through the GMS2 interface, either with Tortoise created repos or with GitHub Desktop app created repos.
Yes, I've been using GitHub's desktop app for use with GitHub repos. I also have Tortoise, which I can use with repos regardless of where they are hosted (I tried working with locally hosted repos for a long time, but at the time I was using SubVersioN, not git.)

It sounds like, for now at least, it's still better to use separate tools for IDE work and version control. Which is too bad, I would really like to see the IDE handle this, since it's less "integrated" if it doesn't. But the GitHub app works really well for me so far.