• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Source Control Timeline?

Aviox

Is there any word on when source control will be available in GMS2?

I noticed the help file's instructions show options to set it up that don't currently exist in the IDE. I also noticed one of my favorite (read: least favorite) lines in the helpfile:
IMPORTANT! Source Control is not available with the Trial Licence of the product.
I'll also say, this language is kind of confusing to me. On the licenses page of my account, it says nothing about a "trial" license. To me, a trial communicates a temporary and typically free version of a program, not an early access license.

Am I missing something here? Or is that an error in the helpfile?

(I've also noticed shaders use similar language in the helpfile, and I've had trouble getting them work. But that is likely my own error, since I don't know much about shaders yet)

Thanks.

csanyk

Is there any word on when source control will be available in GMS2?

I noticed the help file's instructions show options to set it up that don't currently exist in the IDE. I also noticed one of my favorite (read: least favorite) lines in the helpfile:

I'll also say, this language is kind of confusing to me. On the licenses page of my account, it says nothing about a "trial" license. To me, a trial communicates a temporary and typically free version of a program, not an early access license.

Am I missing something here? Or is that an error in the helpfile?

(I've also noticed shaders use similar language in the helpfile, and I've had trouble getting them work. But that is likely my own error, since I don't know much about shaders yet)

Thanks.
I'll let YYG Staffers speak to what their intent is with regard to features and pricing, but it looks to me like they're trying to do the same thing that they tried to do with GMS1.

Some history:

For a long time, GM (pre-Studio) was very inexpensive, with a very useful Free edition, and then a Paid version that unlocked some additional features.

When YYG bought GM, they raised the price by about double what it was (IIRC it went from something like $25 to $40; users howled). $40 is still very inexpensive, unless you don't have a job or something.

When GM:S was released, the price went up even higher, to $200. $200 is no longer a very inexpensive price point. Users howled. They had a "free" version but it was extremely limited. I never tried it, but I think you couldn't make a project with more than 1 room and 3 objects. It was nearly useless, and it seemed like it was intended to be something that you could try out as a demo to see if you liked it, but if you liked it enough to use it at all, YYG was expecting you to shell out $200 for it, at a minimum.

YYG padded this painful increase by offering upgrade pricing for people who had purchased GM8, and on occasionally they had sales. Eventually they lowered their prices a bit, while increasing the price of Master Collection. They got rid of the "crippled" free edition of GMS and made a Standard edition which was once again free.

In short, over the years, they've tried a few different pricing experiments with the product, with varying success. It seems as though they're trying once again to go with a very limited, not very useful Free option that they consider a trial demo. I don't know that the market will like this any more than it did the last time. So they may or may not change. It does seem like having a more useful free edition of the tool would benefit them as long as it has a decent conversion rate to users paying for a higher edition. I'd assume that if the conversion rate with the less-useful trial edition is inferior to the conversion rate of Standard, they may relent.

Still, I think the features you get, combined with GMS's ease of use and gentle learning curve, make it worth paying for. If you want something more powerful and free, there are free engines out there that you can find with a google search.

gnysek

Having GMS2 generating resource names as random GUID, source control is rather unusable, cause when two developers add an objects on their side, the project with not only doesn't merge automatically, but even using merge tool it's hard (for example JSON doesn't accept comma on last element), since too many metadata is kept in main project file.

So, when two developers works, you will get conflicts several times a day, and loose lot of resources, because of GIT conflicts. I would like to back to XML or switch to YAML.

Aviox

The Desktop licence for GMS2 gives you access to source control (and everything else unavailable in the trial licence). https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/399
Ah, so I did understand the help file correctly.
I own the desktop license for GMS2, yet source control options seem to be missing in my IDE:

The helpfile shows to go to "Preferences - Plugins - Source Control (Git)" to set up source control
In my IDE, Preferences doesn't have a "Plugins" category.

Attachments

gnysek

It should be in "Main options" (previously Global Game Settings) of project, under "Steam ID" but looks like is missing in latest version. It's replaced by "Allow to send anonymous statistics"

csanyk

It's because we're still in beta, and that feature isn't ready yet. But you can still manage your files outside of gms2

Aviox

I've browsed the release notes both for the IDE and the Runtime. I can't find anything about source control support not being implemented yet. This is the most complete list of "missing features" I could find:
  • No Anti Aliasing implemented - all functions return 0 for the number of anti aliasing levels, we will implement this in the future
  • Line drawing - unfortunately line drawing is not consistently implemented by hardware vendors, this means that between different manufacturers and different drivers from the same manufacturer you may get different results, we reccomend that you do not rely on line drawing in released games, but the functions are still there for you to try.
  • Windows XP is no longer supported for games created using GameMaker Studio 2.
(via http://gms.yoyogames.com/release-notes-runtime.html)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Sorry for the confusion... Source control is a paid licence feature, yes, but I didn't realise that it wasn't available in the beta yet. It will be ready for the final launch I'm sure. :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We expect source control to be available soon. That, like extensions had issues we didn't want to release with, but with lots of developers really wanting to access the desktop version to remove the limits, we removed these and give everyone want they wanted.

.....as it has a decent conversion rate to users paying for a higher edition.
Really? What are your numbers or proof to back this up? :)

csanyk

We expect source control to be available soon. That, like extensions had issues we didn't want to release with, but with lots of developers really wanting to access the desktop version to remove the limits, we removed these and give everyone want they wanted.

Really? What are your numbers or proof to back this up? :)
I don't have any, but it's easy to figure a few things out through some reasonable deduction.

It stands to reason that almost no one buys the paid version sight unseen, right? So nearly every paid license sold must have been a conversion from someone who was at one time a free user. We can round "nearly" and "almost" to "all" pretty reasonably, here.

How many paid licenses have you sold?
How many downloads of the free version have you had?
And of those, how many are still actively in use (eg, they weren't downloaded and forgotten, but downloaded AND installed, and you're getting telemetry data suggesting that they're used at least semi-regularly)?

You should be able to do a back of the envelope calculation based on that, fairly easily. I don't have access to your data, or I would do it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Ahhhh...pure guess work..... well, can't comment on specific numbers obviously, but none of GMs usage is what you think :)

csanyk

Ahhhh...pure guess work..... well, can't comment on specific numbers obviously, but none of GMs usage is what you think :)
That's why I'd love to see numbers!

But yeah, you're doing enough in sales to sustain a business, aren't you? (I realize you probably cannot comment on that, especially if the answer is no... but you ARE hiring so I assume you're not doing terrible.)