• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Source Control Questions

Anixias

Hi, so I am developing a game as part of a team for the first time. There's two programmers, one of them being me. I've never used Source Control before, so I used this video to get started:
Unfortunately, following that tutorial did not answer all of my questions. Also, all of the options under Source Control at the top of the IDE except for "Clone Repository", "Commit Changes", "View History", and "Show Conflicts" is grayed out. Meaning, I have to use Git Bash. Now, I'm fine with this, I just want to know why everything else is grayed out.

Secondly, how does the other programmer get my project onto his computer, exactly? I'm still unsure of how exactly that works. Thanks!

Mick

I recommend that you setup version control outside of GMS2 entirely. You can use GitHub Desktop, it's a simple to use GUI for Git and can be used with repositories on Bitbucket also. Sorry, not the tutorial you want but just wanted to give you some recommendations.

Anixias

We ended up getting it to work, however I'll keep that in mind. We could swap over to that.

(Those options are still grayed-out. I've just been manually typing "git push" and "git pull" into Git Bash.)