• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Sounds too quiet

obscene

I seem to have a problem I can't ever get to the bottom of and that's that my game is too quiet. When I'm adding well-compressed music to my game I find myself playing it around 0.25 volume to balance well.

I'm wondering if I'm using correct settings for the falloff model? This is a 2D platformer with a view if 1920x1080 view.

global.falloff_ref_dist=960
global.falloff_max_dist=960+1920
global.falloff_factor=1
audio_falloff_set_model(audio_falloff_linear_distance)

Basically used 1000 as a distance from the center to the edge, and 3000 to make a sound dissappear when it was a full screen away from the edge of the current view. fallof_factor of 1, hell , I honestly don't know how that figures into anything considering the other two values are all the information I would assume it would need to calculate a linear change between a distance of 1,000 and 3,000.

Suggestions? What settings do people normally use for a 2D platformer?

R

Rukola

I guess you checked with playing sounds without audio_play_sound_at(..) so if that's in order..

I didn't fine tune it all yet, but for now it does the trick:

Code:
//in create
audio_falloff_set_model(audio_falloff_linear_distance);

//when playing a sound
audio_play_sound_at(sndJump20, x, y, 0, 100 , 500, 1, 0, 100);

//in player step
audio_listener_set_position(0, x, y, 0);

obscene

Well I've done some testing / recording and looking at waveforms inside and outside of GM and it seems the difference is negligble, I think I just need to do a better job of normalizing sound effects. It seems really hard to get everythign to balande with each other especially when I have a ton of sounds going. Plus I am trying to capitalize on ambient sounds for atmospheric effect and it's really hard to balance that with music and a dozen or so environmental sounds always going.