• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM [Solved] Sound not working

F

Formadscience

I'm new to GameMaker and I have no idea what I could possibly be doing wrong. I've tried it with the new and old audio engine, and I've tried both OGG and MP3. I think I got it to work once with the drag and drop "play sound" thing but I haven't been able to get that to play anything since then and I don't remember what else I might have done differently that time.

W

William Dubois

Try to convert your audio file into wav. Working always for me.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You say that you're "new to GameMaker" but tagged it as and posted it in the 1.x forum. 1.x is not available anymore, so which version are you actually using?

F

Formadscience

Try to convert your audio file into wav. Working always for me.
Nope, didn't work either.
You say that you're "new to GameMaker" but tagged it as and posted it in the 1.x forum. 1.x is not available anymore, so which version are you actually using?
I am using 1.x. I got it a few years ago and only just got around to learning how to use it again.

W

William Dubois

Well, I will need some pictures to see the problem. Sorry, but I don't know how I can help more. Good luck.

F

Formadscience

Alright. I'm honestly not sure if these pictures will actually make anything clearer or not, but here's what I've got.
gamemaker issue 1.PNG
gamemaker issue 2.PNG
I put the object in the room. This is literally the most simple simple setup I could think of and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but it doesn't.

The-any-Key

Tips is to check that the sound files got the correct name on the audio folder. Right click the sound and use show in explorer. Check the sound name ex snd_mysound. Then go to the audio folder and make sure there is a snd_mysound.mp3 or .wav in there.
Note that if you rename the sound in GM ex from snd_mysound to snd_explosion. You need to manually change the name in the audio folder. This is a known bug.

rIKmAN

Nope, didn't work either.

I am using 1.x. I got it a few years ago and only just got around to learning how to use it again.
What version of 1.4?
I remember there being a lot of audio fixes for 1.4 done just before the end of sunsetting so make sure you are using 1.4.9999.

F

Formadscience

Tips is to check that the sound files got the correct name on the audio folder. Right click the sound and use show in explorer. Check the sound name ex snd_mysound. Then go to the audio folder and make sure there is a snd_mysound.mp3 or .wav in there.
Note that if you rename the sound in GM ex from snd_mysound to snd_explosion. You need to manually change the name in the audio folder. This is a known bug.
The file does seem to be in the audio folder with the correct name.
What version of 1.4?
I remember there being a lot of audio fixes for 1.4 done just before the end of sunsetting so make sure you are using 1.4.9999.
Yeah, it's 1.4.9999.

F

Formadscience

So, my problem continues to get weirder. I was testing the game a lot today trying to solve a separate problem when the sound suddenly started working. I'd done absolutely nothing to fix it so it was a surprise. I left the game running while I fixed a minor issue with the music volume and a little while later, it suddenly stopped looping for no apparent reason. Now it's back to not playing at all. This is the second time it's started and then stopped working for seemingly no reason.

F

Formadscience

Well, re-install didn't fix it, but the good news is that I've discovered a few things.
Firstly, this is only a problem with HTML5, which I had been working with before, and on windows the music plays perfectly. Secondly, even though music pretty consistently hasn't worked on HTML5, short sound effects do. I realized this probably has something to do with the fact that the sound effect was uncompressed and then changed the compression settings on the music file. I found that the only setting where it didn't play at all was "Compressed - Streamed" which it had been set to before. The fact that it was set to that in the first place may have been a mistake on my part considering I'm not entirely sure what exactly this does. Since then, the music has started working, but most of the time it needs the sound effect to play first, which is still a bit of a problem but right now I'm just glad it's playing.
I have no idea what all this means or what to do with this information but hopefully someone does.

chmod777

I assume this is just because most browsers now require a user gesture before audio can be played, so not a bug.

Changes have been made to GMS2 in the last releases, but in GMS1 you would need to fix this yourself using an extension.

E

Edwin

Try to make it mono.
upload_2019-6-21_22-0-16.png
Tell if it doesn't work. We'll try to help.

Last edited:
F

Formadscience

Try to make it mono.
View attachment 25344
Tell if it doesn't work. We'll try to help.
I'm not seeing any difference with mono.
I assume this is just because most browsers now require a user gesture before audio can be played, so not a bug.

Changes have been made to GMS2 in the last releases, but in GMS1 you would need to fix this yourself using an extension.
I'm guessing that's why a lot of browser games have play buttons before the start menu. I may just have to do that.