• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Sound errors in Studio After Switching From Legacy

W

w0lfmare

Hello, I'm using Gamemaker Studio. This project was originally made in Game maker 8.1, and I updated it to Game Maker Studio.

I've been struggling with just adding new sounds in this specific project. In brand new test projects, I can add and play new sounds just fine.

When I add a new sound in this project and try to play it, I just get a generic error noise. During my process of trying to solve it I updated from the legacy sound engine to the new one, and that broke some of my old sounds which I can't fix or even change. I'm really stumped here! (And don't worry, I updated my GML and removed the legacy sound functions, replacing them with the new ones).
If I go to the asset on the left and preview the sound under properties it plays the correct sound just fine, and the preview will change if I try to change the sound.

I pressed the shiny "clean project compiler asset cache" button and it didn't work, though it sounds like it's close to what my problem is.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

renex

hi!

studio 1.4 has a few bugs with sound assets. when adding a new sound, make sure you don't drag the file on top of an existing sound resource - that causes the sound file's path to get corrupted. try using the add sound button, or right clicking the Sounds folder to add a sound.

if that still doesn't work, open the .sound.gmx file in a text editor and check if the filenames are correct and that the sound file was actually copied to your project folder. Dragging something in from 7zip can also cause issues like that.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Checking the .sound.gmx would be a good bet, along with the audio file that goes into /sound/audio folder - perhaps due to project name/path it does not end up being copied in there (which is usually what causes it to be replaced with a "ding" during compile)

W

w0lfmare

hi!

studio 1.4 has a few bugs with sound assets. when adding a new sound, make sure you don't drag the file on top of an existing sound resource - that causes the sound file's path to get corrupted. try using the add sound button, or right clicking the Sounds folder to add a sound.

if that still doesn't work, open the .sound.gmx file in a text editor and check if the filenames are correct and that the sound file was actually copied to your project folder. Dragging something in from 7zip can also cause issues like that.
Just tried these, and still having issues. I've even tried copying over the sound.gmx files from the test copy of the game that works, and no luck. The proper sounds are definitely in the right place with the right pathing. Even previewing the sounds in the project folder and in the editor, I don't see anything wrong.

Also, not all of the sounds aren't giving a clean generic error noise, maybe half of them sound extremely loud and distorted.

Is there any way to check and make sure the project compiler asset cache is actually empty?

Thanks!

W

w0lfmare

Checking the .sound.gmx would be a good bet, along with the audio file that goes into /sound/audio folder - perhaps due to project name/path it does not end up being copied in there (which is usually what causes it to be replaced with a "ding" during compile)
Thank you for replying to my thread.
Unfortunately after poking through the files you've mentioned, everything seems to be in perfect order. Hopefully my other post has given more data to work with in finding the issue.

W

w0lfmare

this is a longshot, but try replacing the ffmpeg executable in game maker's folder with a newer copy from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

the one that ships with game maker is stripped down a lot and just doesn't work for me sometimes.
I got as far as downloading ffmpeg-snapshot.tar.bz2 and finding a "ffmpegsumo.dll" in the game maker folder. Is this the correct file to replace? I don't know enough about this back end stuff to confidently replace it.

To further experiment I made a brand new project to test the sound again. This time, 1/4 sounds returned an error message.
Here is the test project. Can someone try this and tell me if the sounds work for them? This should narrow down the problem significantly.

After the placeholder menu, play sounds by pressing 1,2,3 and 4.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I got as far as downloading ffmpeg-snapshot.tar.bz2 and finding a "ffmpegsumo.dll" in the game maker folder. Is this the correct file to replace? I don't know enough about this back end stuff to confidently replace it.

To further experiment I made a brand new project to test the sound again. This time, 1/4 sounds returned an error message.
Here is the test project. Can someone try this and tell me if the sounds work for them? This should narrow down the problem significantly.

After the placeholder menu, play sounds by pressing 1,2,3 and 4.
The sounds play fine for me, except sound 1, which has its audio file (in sounds/audio) named "sound0" instead of "sfx_hit1".

What version of 1.4 are you using?

W

w0lfmare

The sounds play fine for me, except sound 1, which has its audio file (in sounds/audio) named "sound0" instead of "sfx_hit1".

What version of 1.4 are you using?
My version is 1.4.9999.
For me, sound 3 is the only one that doesn't work, and returns an error message.