• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Audio Sound Effects

D

deem93

Hello.
I am starting to work on sound design for my medieval, turn-based RPG and I wanted to ask you if there are any free/affordable sfx libraries you could recommend for me.
Also do you have any general advice regarding creating compelling and coherent sound design?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There's a site called https://freesound.org/ that has plenty of free sounds (who could've guessed!), just make sure to check the licenses of the stuff you download (e.g. if you absolutely don't want to write a proper credits screen, only use CC0 stuff, if you wanna sell your game avoid noncommercial-licensed stuff, etc).

Sound design tips:
  • add a bit of random pitch shift to repetitive sounds like sword swings to make them sound less repetitive
  • add sounds for EVERYTHING that has gameplay purposes to add aural feedback, effects and ambience are less important
  • make sure your sounds loop properly
  • make sure no sounds are too loud, if a sound is likely to be played a lot at once (e.g. "bullet hits wall", or "aoe attack hits targets") it should be lower than normal.
  • playing multiple sounds at once produces a more unique sound, most real sounds consist of more than one thing making noises at once