• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Soul Chase [RELEASED]

H

harambe1

Do you guys miss NES and SNES games from the 80's and the 90's? Do you miss actual challenge and the satisfaction of completing a difficult but fun level? Can't bear the nostalgia anymore? Look no further, Soul Chase is here to fix your NES / SNES nostalgia!

This is an indie game that was originally made for a game jam. Everything was made by me except for the music which was from opengameart.org (see below for artists).Soul Chase is a Free to Play challenging 2D Action Platformer with retro pixel art graphics. Please note it may take many tries, specially on the boss, but don't rage quit! It only takes a bit of practice ;)

You play as a knight who chases after his own soul through enemies, bosses and obstacles along the way. The knight was cursed by a witch in exchange for power. The knight is never allowed to sleep again, or his soul will escape from his body, and the knight has to run after it and catch it, or his soul will be taken by the witch.

The big problem is, the knight ALWAYS falls asleep so he has to chase his soul every night.

This game was inspired by a lot of retro style games with pixel art graphics. It was made by me, Aljon, a solo indie game developer! I hope you enjoy this challenging game as much as I did making it! :D

Credits:

I made everything in the game except for the music, which was made by a friend or taken from open game sources i.e. opengameart.org

Music Arists:
nlolotte
SketchyLogic
DeltaBreaker
RandomMind
TheMidnaught
DeltaBreaker
Wolfgang
@wyver9
nene
Spring-Enterprises

Super Testers:
Dorothy Ivy
David Hartkorn

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...E3xdiAHXDYqN6iePPr7ESZTP59SWPuzt9vxMWyQJvChao

Love you guys! <3

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Bumping this to the top since it sat in the approval queue for a while, and then got moved here.

Pfap

Made it to round 6. It feels really polished and it is satisfying when you catch your soul. I died and was sent to the main menu at the part with the 2 walls that you slide down while avoiding the spikes wasn't about to boot it back up and trek through the first 5 rounds lol. It kind of feels like those 3d infinite run games... I actually think it works better in 2d if that's what you were going for. I kind of want to get to the witch lady boss and I feel you have the right amount of dangerous and annoying captured... just want to "git gud" and wreck that witch.

Hmmm... do I have any useful criticism...

I always try to keep touch buttons off the screen; except for menus, or if necessary make the indicator small and the response surface larger. I feel that it's a touch device, so why put an NES pad on the bottom of it, but it works in some games and I didn't seem to notice them too much while playing yours. I also, kept instinctively trying to point and jump the sword upwards... similar to how Link behaves in Smash Bros.

Otherwise, maybe some type of indicator to show how far ahead your soul is would be cool, just to dangle the carrot in front of the donkey. A bar with a relative distance is what I'm thinking... the most recent example fresh in my mind is the new Call of Duty battle royale game where they show a bar setup from left to right with: danger point, your point, safe point. So like a bar with 2 points and your relative position between them, I'm not completely sure how you could accomplish something similar in your game, but the upper left corner on the GUI would work for a position.

Your test interstitial and video ads worked.

I was playing on a Samsung galaxy s8.

Since contacting you here I won't send an email unless you would like it for your records.

H

harambe1

Made it to round 6. It feels really polished and it is satisfying when you catch your soul. I died and was sent to the main menu at the part with the 2 walls that you slide down while avoiding the spikes wasn't about to boot it back up and trek through the first 5 rounds lol. It kind of feels like those 3d infinite run games... I actually think it works better in 2d if that's what you were going for. I kind of want to get to the witch lady boss and I feel you have the right amount of dangerous and annoying captured... just want to "git gud" and wreck that witch.

Hmmm... do I have any useful criticism...

I always try to keep touch buttons off the screen; except for menus, or if necessary make the indicator small and the response surface larger. I feel that it's a touch device, so why put an NES pad on the bottom of it, but it works in some games and I didn't seem to notice them too much while playing yours. I also, kept instinctively trying to point and jump the sword upwards... similar to how Link behaves in Smash Bros.

Otherwise, maybe some type of indicator to show how far ahead your soul is would be cool, just to dangle the carrot in front of the donkey. A bar with a relative distance is what I'm thinking... the most recent example fresh in my mind is the new Call of Duty battle royale game where they show a bar setup from left to right with: danger point, your point, safe point. So like a bar with 2 points and your relative position between them, I'm not completely sure how you could accomplish something similar in your game, but the upper left corner on the GUI would work for a position.

Your test interstitial and video ads worked.

I was playing on a Samsung galaxy s8.

Since contacting you here I won't send an email unless you would like it for your records.
Thank you so much for the very insightful review! For the gamepad, I never really thought of removing or changing it, but now that you've mentioned it, I think you're right. There are some people who would prefer not to see the buttons. I might make that as an option to make them invisible or smaller.
As for the indicator, again you are right. its a game about chasing and there should be at least a bar graph showing his x position relative to the player. I will work on that one for sure!
Thank goodness it works nice on s8! Thanks man youre a great help