Legacy GM [SORT OF SOLVED...] Room Transition - 3D Game

So, I am using Shawn Spaulding's room transition example (modifed a bunch for my game) - but I am using it in a 3D FPS game (so using projections).

I have the room transitions working great, the only issue is that I can't get the rectangle to be anything but white. Below is an example of what I am doing (mine is modifed, but the parts related to the color and rectangle are the same). In his example, he does it in the draw event on his obj_fade - I had to do it in the draw GUI event for it to show up.

Anyways, so no matter what I set the draw_set_color to, it is always white - but the fade transition and everything else is great. Anyone have any thoughts?

a = clamp(a + (fade * 0.05),0,1);

if (a == 1){
fade = -1;
}

if (a == 0) && (fade == -1){
instance_destroy();
}

draw_set_color(c_black);
draw_set_alpha(a);
draw_rectangle(
view_xview[0],
view_yview[0],
view_xview[0] + view_wview[0],
view_yview[0] + view_hview[0],
)
draw_set_alpha(1);

so the fade works, but it doesn't do any color other than white? You could try draw_rectangle_color, or just try drawing a spite across the view.

One reason it might not be working is if you have a shader active. If the shader doesn't use the in_Colour attribute, draw_set_color probably wont work.

what i don't understand is why you need to use view_xview, view_yview, etc.... since you are drawing in the gui layer you should just do 0,0 to w,h of gui layer... anyway that probably doesn't matter as long as it is showing up.

I tried draw_rectangle_color and got the same result, just white.

Not using any shaders (yet).

And sorry - that was an example, but I am actually using view_xport, view_yport, view_wport, view_hport define the coordinates.

I guess I have to try the sprite next, instead of the draw_rectangle.