Discussion Sonic the Hedgehog and Autism

A

Alex Lyons

I know quite a few people with autism and it seems the majority of them are Sonic fans. I once went on an Autism Awareness walk and found a team with Sonic characters all over their shirts. I've also come across many observations that show that a good chunk of the Sonic fanbase is autistic. Others claim the autistic fans are the reason that the "weird" side of the fanbase (consisting of furries, fan-characters, and other crass sexual content) is so weird. All of these claims and observations got me curious.

It's not just Sonic, either. The internet also tends to associate things like Roblox, My Little Pony, and sometimes even Yoshi to autism. However, I've seen it the most with Sonic.

My question is: What is it about the Sonic franchise that appeals specifically to people on the autism spectrum?

NOTICE:
I'm not saying all Sonic fans are autistic, nor am I saying everyone with autism is a Sonic fan.

R

roytheshort

Honestly why do people always ask their weird questions here? I swear to god. Why does the GMC have the answer to everyone's overly specific questions or weird questions? I've seen people ask about relationships, how to repair their cars, how to I fix my finances? Should my urine be this color? I need a consultant, where can I find a consultant? Was the moon landing faked by the Beatles? Should I move to Germany with this girl I don't know? Was the moon landing faked by Germany? Why is the earth flat? Are all my conspiracy theories about the Illuminati made up by the Illuminati?

Wouldn't this make more sense to post in an autism support forum, or a sonic forum? Why here? Why are the questions always here?

Also this topic won't end well, calling it now, it's going to struggle to remain unlocked before it's reached the 2nd page mark.

Last edited:
M

Misu

I am Autistist with asperger and I am NO huge fan of sonic. That is extremely probabilistic and chances of being a fan of something does not rely on anything specific in genre like gay, race, and of course autism. Perhaps they are huge fans of anime (my belief) but still. I am NOT SANIC FAST. I like to hear what @Roa would like to say about this and my point of view!

Roa

I know quite a few people with autism and it seems the majority of them are Sonic fans. I once went on an Autism Awareness walk and found a team with Sonic characters all over their shirts. I've also come across many observations that show that a good chunk of the Sonic fanbase is autistic. Others claim the autistic fans are the reason that the "weird" side of the fanbase (consisting of furries, fan-characters, and other crass sexual content) is so weird. All of these claims and observations got me curious.

It's not just Sonic, either. The internet also tends to associate things like Roblox, My Little Pony, and sometimes even Yoshi to autism. However, I've seen it the most with Sonic.

My question is: What is it about the Sonic franchise that appeals specifically to people on the autism spectrum?

NOTICE:
I'm not saying all Sonic fans are autistic, nor am I saying everyone with autism is a Sonic fan.
People just turn really inmature stuff into edgy stuff to be taken seriously, and people that enjoy it just come off as bad as "autistic" as you put it. People will always try to be on some incrowd they fit into and some people just fit into that really cringe level 💩💩💩💩.

I mean, just look at furries. Everyone else hates them and think its really wack, but they have a good time in their community.

Honestly why do people always ask their weird questions here? I swear to god. Why does the GMC have the answer to everyone's overly specific questions or weird questions? I've seen people ask about relationships, how to repair their cars, how to I fix my finances? Should my urine be this color? I need a consultant, where can I find a consultant? Was the moon landing faked by the Beatles? Should I move to Germany with this girl I don't know? Was the moon landing faked by Germany? Why is the earth flat? Are all my conspiracy theories about the Illuminati made up by the Illuminati?

Wouldn't this make more sense to post in an autism support forum, or a sonic forum? Why here? Why are the questions always here?

Also this topic won't end well, calling it now, it's going to struggle to remain unlocked before it's reached the 2nd page mark.
...And how long have you been with us roy? 8 years? haven't you gotten use to it? This is normal off topic XD

This is where the cool kids hang out.

I am Autistist with asperger and I am NO huge fan of sonic. That is extremely probabilistic and chances of being a fan of something does not rely on anything specific in genre like gay, race, and of course autism. Perhaps they are huge fans of anime (my belief) but still. I am NOT SANIC FAST. I like to hear what @Roa would like to say about this and my point of view!
Idk, who am I to judge? My brother is mid range autistic and he hates sonics fans and their level of cringe too.

Because they are pro-vaccine.
Watch out. Comments like that will rowl people up on here lol

ALso, I have to...

Roy the hoghedge:

Alex the hedgeheg:

I have to admit, this thread made me laugh pretty hard. This is an amazing, ridiculous question. X'D

I don't have an answer for you, though. I've only known a few people on the autistic spectrum. The one I talked to all the time was a HUGE Sonic Underground fan, for whatever that's worth. And it does seem like online, Sonic does attract that kind of fanbase. I don't know what kind of answer you expect from us, though. I doubt there are many autism/Sonic experts on these forums. Any guesses most of us made would probably only as good as yours.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

Umm, Roy that's a bit rich coming from you? Your major forum contributions usually consist in non-sequitur comments and general off-topic nonsense which help derail topics that could otherwise have been simply ignored or even worthwhile? If people posting specific questions is such an anathema to you then maybe you should just ignore offtopic? Try posting to HELP people in the programming forum maybe (something I don't think I've EVER seen you do)? Posting comments like this is simply setting the topic up to fail and I think that being constructive instead of negative, and not posting stupid one line comment "jokes" as you are want to do, would be far more productive in resolving any issues that off-topic has. ;)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
What is it about the Sonic franchise that appeals specifically to people on the autism spectrum?
Good question. I've read about this too. And other people have mentioned it.

My understanding is it's Sonic, and certain other video game and TV characters. Depending on their level of autism, some people have trouble with subtlety and nuance. (That's why social interaction is hard.) But certain game / TV characters are simple and "one-dimensional". Personality and situations are black-white, right-wrong, good-bad, etc. So these characters are more easily understood by some autism sufferers.

Obviously, this isn't universal. And it depends on the level of autism. But the effect does seem real, from what I've read.

C

ChuckerHill

Can it be because of Internet? Maybe because certain people are usually marginalized by many others and seek acceptance and try to find it in certain spots. It may be a generalization, though.
I can see it being a little bit of both. When you're on a platform where you can meet up with anyone from anywhere, it's quick and easy to form huge groups. And when you're part of a group of people that's horribly mistreated by other groups of people who hate you for whatever stupid reason, you have to find comfort and solace somewhere. In the case of autistic people, it looks like its the Sonic games. Of course, it would be better if that weren't the case and no groups of people were being mistreated. But human history's shown that that sort of thing happens all the time, and the best thing you can do is learn from the mistakes of the people who were part of the problem. With the Internet, however, I feel like it's caused this huge regression where nobody's taking the time needed to understand a person. They'll just 💩💩💩💩 on a person or group of people, then just leave them be, never getting reprimanded. And the people they hurt? That hurt sticks with them, and causes them to be more close-knit and defensive. It's a terrible cycle, and it's only getting worse.

C

ChuckerHill

Nothing like a 4 year necro.
Nito would be proud.
I'm sorry, it's just that it felt like you made this huge blanket statement. As if you didn't really care to answer. Don't get me wrong, you're right about people trying hard to fit in and twisting otherwise childish things into something "edgy". But not everybody in the world's like that. Some people don't obsess over fitting in or wanting to be part of some huge group. There are many people out there who have no problem being their own person. I just thought you missed that in your reply.