• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

someone tryed amazon underground ?

JacPete

greetings,
as i was searching for more ways to monetize my app, i stumbled across amazon underground. the service seems to be pretty nice, seems easy to get some reputation there. you get payed for the minutes that players play youre game and on the "downside" you need to rip the commercials off or if you got an paid app modell you need to change it for the ungerground market to a free one.
i dunno if the service is any good, but it sounds not to bad at all.
the search mask is different as the one in googleplay. you can search here for new uploaded games and so you can be found faster from "nearby" customers.
maybe someone has some expirience with it. would love to hear some thoughts about the amazon underground appstore.

Jon

Hi JacPete.
I have a lot of experience with the Amazon appstore and underground.
Actually you do not need to remove your ads to put your game in Underground, but you should consider the way users feel about ads and whether that would cause them to spend less time in your game and so you'd earn less money.
However, you do need to have your app offered in some form of monetized way on another service - Google or Apple.
So what does that mean? You could have your free app on Google with an in-app purchase for a set of additional levels and you bring that app to Underground but entitle them to the level pack for free or keep the IAP item intact which players can then "unlock" without charge. The magic for that all happens on the Amazon side btw, you wouldn't need to change your app. Or you could offer your app for .99 on Apple and have it free in Underground. It just has to be monetized in some fashion beyond ads.
It is NOT allowed to have a free but ad supported game on Google or Apple and just remove the ads.
It can be monetized in the other store with a paid download, IAP or whatever.

Further, you will need a unique package name for the Underground version. Like you might append "_underground" to your package name.

JacPete

hej jon.
that are some real good information about the underground store. i think i understand now how to get a game into these store. thanks for sharing youre knowledge :)

JacPete

Further, you will need a unique package name for the Underground version. Like you might append "_underground" to your package name.
but you dont need a unique package name for the normal amazon app store or ?

Jon

You don't need a unique package name for the Amazon Appstore generally. It isn't a requirement. However, when you have differences like IAP, leaderboards or achievements, etc, you have a different build anyway so it is common to have a different package name. (I do)

But for Underground you are required to use a unique package name from any you use elsewhere.
Also keep in mind that Underground is not available in every market globally, so devs often have an underground and non-underground version both active in the Appstore at the same time.