Job Offer - Programmer Someone to build a level editor and gameplay specificities

Xobiaria

Hello everyone. I am Xobiaria, a 26 years old boy from France.
I have a project in mind, but it is too much time consuming and too hard for me to learn GML. That would be much more (in my opinion) profitable to me to let someone who really knows what he is doing, to do the stuff.

The final project in a few words

The project is to be a 2D platformer such as Mario and many others, but it will include a level editor. Several "demo levels" will be included in the game, but what will make the game active is the level sharing between players (with external files, such as .ini files as example). There will be several environments (desert, snow, forest/jungle, etc...)

The tasks to work on

Build a level editor that includes the following features :

- The level size can be defined by the level maker in real time. While working on the map, resize should always be possible. A maximum size for the X and Y axis can be set.
- Everything will be snapped to a grid of squares of 32x32 (objects, tiles, etc...) using a command such as move_snap(32x32). You will understand with that request that my tiles/blocks are supposed to be 32x32 tiles.
- The elements to choose have to be stored in different categories (as example, one for ennemies, one for the "terrain" tiles/blocks, one for power-ups, etc...) with an always visible interface that follows the camera. The different categories may look similar as what you can see in Trackmania : https://im.tiscali.cz/games/2020/07/07/1191600-trackmania-base_16x9.jpg.653?1594126670
- To be able to switch at any time from the editor mode to the playable mode to test/play the level we are working on.
- To be able to save the level to an external file, such as .ini or any other, so players can share levels when loading the file.

The player need to have the following gameplay specificities :

- To be able to walk on 45° slopes terrain (as shown in this video). No need for other angles, I only need 45° :
- To have friction when walking on ice surfaces (as shown in the video) :
- To have an acceleration/deceleration inertia/momentum. I don't want my player speed to be "ON/OFF". As exemple, when I press left he goes to the left at it's maximum speed, and when releasing the left key it immediately goes to speed 0. Maybe one way to do it would be to add friction like with the ice surfaces I request above, but putting less smooth values.

To work on this project :

- Nothing visual/graphic is required. The player and the tiles/objects (that have the collisions) can just be coloured squares/slopes.
- The payment will be via Paypal. An amount that will be ok for you should be ok for me too

When these elements will be successfully done, it will be used as starting point for my project. Credits for the maker will for sure appear in the final game.

I hope I did not miss any information. If there is any doubt or question, do not hesitate to ask me.
You can contact me by private message or with my email: jules1chevalier[@]laposte.net
Thank you

Last edited: