Some Turn-Based RPG help? (I'm New)

D

DeveloperCetus

Hello everyone! I'm Developer Cetus and I'm new to GameMaker and the community in general, so before I go on, I wanna say that if I post this in the wrong place, can you (a mod I home) move it or tell me where I can move it? Thank you!

Anyways, I'm creating an RPG thats a mix of FNaF World and Final Fantasy. And what;s gottem me the most stumped is how theres it 0 tutorials for the one close to what I want.

So I come to everyone here. And thats where I present my idea.

Here we have a simple battle I made in Paint.NET (boo me, amirite?) of Cetus (The shiny Froakie) encountering a Wheezle.

What I want to do first is have an engine. Where you select all your attacks for all 4 party members then the battle plays out. So for example, if there was two Cetus' and Cetus 2 was slower than Wheezle, you could select what their attacks are gonna be, then when the turn starts Cetus 1 would attack Wheezle, Wheezle would attack whoever, then Cetus 2 would attack then the turn ends. Much like Pokemon, but using 4 Pokemon at once if that helps any.

Next, I want to create a menu UI system. Where you can select Cetus' menu icon at the bottom and have several options. Attack, Special, Item or Run. That I might be able to fight somewhere else but if anyone can tell me now, it would help me a lot.

Next, I want to create a working health bar that will turn colors when someone has taken damage. Like if Cetus were to take mortal damage, his health bar would be red or close TO red.

Now for the biggest problem: II don't now exactly how to code. I'm learning, yes, but I don't know much to create THIS. This DOESN'T mean I want people to code thus up all for me. If you could give examples or steps on what to do, that would help. But I'm not asking ANYONE to code this for me. If you do, well okay thank you so much. But I wanna be able to learn this. SO if you give examples and what not, that would help me immensely.

D

DeveloperCetus

I also want help creating an encountering system FOR this, but I'll include that in like a comment or another forum post.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
SO if you give examples and what not, that would help me immensely.
This (Game Design) forum isn't the place to get coding help. Use the Programming forum for that. But I won't move this topic there, because you're asking too many questions at once, and that's not a good approach. Instead, focus your questions on one specific issue per topic.

...theres it 0 tutorials for the one close to what I want.
You may not find tutorials completely specific to your game -- but there are lots of tutorials teaching basic movement, basic menus, basic controls, etc. And once you learn those basics, you can adapt them to your specific needs. Look at the YoYo tutorials. Or the Tutorials Forum. You'll find lots of help there.

Then once you start writing some code, you can use the Programming forum.

NicoDT

Learning takes time, and you won't be able to do everything you want from the begining. Once you start learning, you will be able to come with a solution to your problem (even if not the best solution). We've all been there :)

In the meantime, you may want to watch this video. It's Shaun's menu tutorial.

Once you understand it, you'll be able to do most of the battle's code.

R

Rusty

Firstly, learning about programming an entire battle system takes a lot more experience than I believe you currently hold but I will help you out. The main points you want to be looking at are effective use of arrays. If you learn how to use arrays first, then you have achieved the first step in programming a turn based battle system, so there is a little nudge for you and a little homework for you to get some research into.

As for the healthbar thing, Game Maker has a built in function to do all of that for you called "draw_healthbar". All you need to do is supply the variables and select the colours you want displayed at maximum and minimum health and Game Maker will do the rest of the blending work for you. Getting the native GML codes for the colours you want might prove tricky but there are a few tools out there to help with that and failing that, you can always use "make_color_rgb" to use RGB values instead.

D

DeveloperCetus

This (Game Design) forum isn't the place to get coding help. Use the Programming forum for that. But I won't move this topic there, because you're asking too many questions at once, and that's not a good approach. Instead, focus your questions on one specific issue per topic.

You may not find tutorials completely specific to your game -- but there are lots of tutorials teaching basic movement, basic menus, basic controls, etc. And once you learn those basics, you can adapt them to your specific needs. Look at the YoYo tutorials. Or the Tutorials Forum. You'll find lots of help there.

Then once you start writing some code, you can use the Programming forum.
Very sorry about that, I wrote the forum post at like, 4 A.M. and I wasn't thinking properly.

First I want to direct this at everyone who's replied so far: Thank you so much!! Really means a lot when people reply with helpful stuff! So thank you all!

And is it okay if I post like, a few questions in the Programming forum? I promise not to spam or anything. (That's extremely rude anyway.)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
And is it okay if I post like, a few questions in the Programming forum? I promise not to spam or anything. (That's extremely rude anyway.)
Of course it's OK -- that's the purpose of that forum. Try to keep the question focused, and be as specific as you can. It also helps if you can provide whatever code you've tried so far.

If you have questions about several different programming issues, you can make multiple topics -- although I'd recommend starting with just one topic for now.