• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Some thoughts on 2.3

• Thread starter testaccountpleaseignore
  • Start date
T

testaccountpleaseignore

Hi, Ive been using GMS for quite a while now. I recently downloaded 2.3 and I just wanted to note some feedback:

1: Performance. Ive noticed a massive drop in performance since the new update. New features are great, but they should (almost) never be at the expense of performance. This ends up being a dealbreaker for the product.
2: I've been hoping for a long time that GMS would reintroduce the "colorize" feature (as well as other quick handy features) to the image editor. We lost these features somewhere a long the way and they were extremely useful. I almost hoped that 2.3 would breing these back. They really should return!
3: One feature that i've wanted since I started using GMS has been the ability to easily dynamically colorize sprites, in a real and easy way. (Note that the built in functions for colorizing arnt sufficient, since they don't do a good job in enough situations). There are other methods for achieving this but they are very ... difficult.. for lack of a better word. The main selling point of GMS should be handling things like this easily. GMS should consider adding this soon, since I personally would consider it a flagship feature.

Biscotto

The drop in performance compared to previous versions is indeed present, but you have to consider that 2.3 has just been released, and there are still many imperfections. I'm sure that with the next updates the developers will make GM more performing and especially with less bugs in it. We just have to wait.:)

As for your requests, I suggest you to send them a report, choosing the appropriate category of suggestions for the implementation of new features. Login and send it directly from here.

xenoargh

"Colorize" is just: image_blend = <color RGB components> in GML.

Anything past that, just use GIMP/Photoshop/image-editor-of-choice, or develop a shader, if you want a specific treatment during runtime.

T

testaccountpleaseignore

xenoargh. image_blend is the insufficient solution I mentioned in the rest of the sentence. It tints the image of a sprite. It does not colorize it. Example: If you have a red color and you image_blend blue, you dont get blue. Currently there is no "easy" solution for real colorization available in GMS.

Make the image shades of white > grey > black and colourise works perfectly on them. You can also use shaders to do a colour swap, which is relatively easy code in terms of shaders.

Z

zendraw

the feedback he gives is legit, you people dont get it that just becouse somthing can be done it doesnt mean its a good way to do it. yes you can do it in other programs and much more, but the process becomes more extensive, and coding in a desired effect is not a solution when you need to have the effect on point. you can make every sprite on a gray gradient and then color them with a shader, how much will that extend the process? its rediculus that yoyo removed all the handy image editor features. you cant even replace a color with a color with transparency, nor can you have transparency on the eraser. the image editor is so cut its ineficient for small edits even.

TheouAegis

GMS1's editor was so much better, and even that was far below any decent freeware graphics editor. I finally tried to import an image as a sprite sheet for the first time in GMS2 recently and it took me a couple minutes just to find the option. It took me 5 seconds to figure it out the first time in GMS1! I haven't even played with GMS2's graphics editor and I can totally sympathize with OP (and zendraw lol).

O.Stogden

Yeah, I haven't used the image editor once in GMS2, it's beyond useless, and in my opinion, should just be removed if it's kept in its current state, it serves no purpose.

T

testaccountpleaseignore

Make the image shades of white > grey > black and colourise works perfectly on them. You can also use shaders to do a colour swap, which is relatively easy code in terms of shaders.
If by perfectly you mean "Looks awful and is a single solid color". And no, it is not relatively easy to code a color swap shader. It is incredibly difficult and requires defining a pallet for each sprite.

the feedback he gives is legit, you people dont get it that just becouse somthing can be done it doesnt mean its a good way to do it. yes you can do it in other programs and much more, but the process becomes more extensive, and coding in a desired effect is not a solution when you need to have the effect on point. you can make every sprite on a gray gradient and then color them with a shader, how much will that extend the process? its rediculus that yoyo removed all the handy image editor features. you cant even replace a color with a color with transparency, nor can you have transparency on the eraser. the image editor is so cut its ineficient for small edits even.
Really? That sounds weird... Right now (2.2.5) I use Asesprite all the time to draw my sprites, but when I need tiny, tiny adjustments after testing, I usually just go in the image editor of GMS2 and adjust a few pixels quickly.

If by perfectly you mean "Looks awful and is a single solid color". And no, it is not relatively easy to code a color swap shader. It is incredibly difficult and requires defining a pallet for each sprite.
Interesting...Funny how I turn this:
planetgreyscale.png
Into this:
planet3.png
And this:
planet2.png
And this:
planet1.png
Using just image_blend. And if you wanted a palette swap shader, that's not "colourization". That's palette swapping. Colourization will change different hues to the same hue, while maintaining the saturation and luminosity values of the old hues, something that is not hard to do with a shader at all.

Z

zendraw

View attachment 33594
Into this:
View attachment 33595
And this:
View attachment 33596
And this:
View attachment 33597
Using just image_blend. And if you wanted a palette swap shader, that's not "colourization". That's palette swapping. Colourization will change different hues to the same hue, while maintaining the saturation and luminosity values of the old hues, something that is not hard to do with a shader at all.
how meny sprites is one planet?

T

testaccountpleaseignore

View attachment 33594
Into this:
View attachment 33595
And this:
View attachment 33596
And this:
View attachment 33597
A few things:

1: This does not look good.
2: Is this 3 sprites? One for the water, the earth and the halo?
3: Colorization is the colloquial term. Not sure why you're arguing semantics.
4: Just saying "this is not hard to do with a shader" doesnt mean anything. Have you actually tried it? It absolutely is difficult. Every solution that i've found requires a predefined pallet. Not everyone is making 8 bit games with 3 frames per animation.

how meny sprites is one planet?
Four per planet with some of them having multiple sub-images to pick from, I just generated ones that all had the same subimages.
A few things:

1: This does not look good.
2: Is this 3 sprites? One for the water, the earth and the halo?
3: Colorization is the colloquial term. Not sure why you're arguing semantics.
4: Just saying "this is not hard to do with a shader" doesnt mean anything. Have you actually tried it? It absolutely is difficult. Every solution that i've found requires a predefined pallet. Not everyone is making 8 bit games with 3 frames per animation.
*rolls eyes*
Ok, whatever. I literally showed you dynamically colourised sprites with an easy to achieve method. If you insist on being petty and deciding that that particular method is beneath you then A) there's no guarantee the inbuilt solution GMS would provide would be dramatically different visually from my method and B) beggars can't be choosers. Learn to code the various methods you can use to get whatever result you want.

T

testaccountpleaseignore

Four per planet with some of them having multiple sub-images to pick from, I just generated ones that all had the same subimages.

*rolls eyes*
Ok, whatever. I literally showed you dynamically colourised sprites with an easy to achieve method. If you insist on being petty and deciding that that particular method is beneath you then A) there's no guarantee the inbuilt solution GMS would provide would be dramatically different visually from my method and B) beggars can't be choosers. Learn to code the various methods you can use to get whatever result you want.
You showed me an insufficient method with a poor result that requires 4 images per sprite.

I mean really, you're basically using 1 image per color. This means you can only have 4 colors my dude. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

i think a palette shader is quite easy to make, but the only situation i see for such a shader is if you make some editor like in guilty gear isuka.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Hi, Ive been using GMS for quite a while now. I recently downloaded 2.3 and I just wanted to note some feedback:

1: Performance. Ive noticed a massive drop in performance since the new update. New features are great, but they should (almost) never be at the expense of performance. This ends up being a dealbreaker for the product.
2: I've been hoping for a long time that GMS would reintroduce the "colorize" feature (as well as other quick handy features) to the image editor. We lost these features somewhere a long the way and they were extremely useful. I almost hoped that 2.3 would breing these back. They really should return!
3: One feature that i've wanted since I started using GMS has been the ability to easily dynamically colorize sprites, in a real and easy way. (Note that the built in functions for colorizing arnt sufficient, since they don't do a good job in enough situations). There are other methods for achieving this but they are very ... difficult.. for lack of a better word. The main selling point of GMS should be handling things like this easily. GMS should consider adding this soon, since I personally would consider it a flagship feature.
1. I've heard performance is indeed worse...some people have been able to fix it by disabling the garbage collector, but not everybody.
2. I don't disagree that it sucks for some people that the image editor is missing features it had previously....but I think the image editor should be pretty much at the bottom of the priority list. There are way too many things that are more important for them to fix(similar to the discussion on a GUI system in another topic, but this is even lower on the list). There are too many good image editors out there, plenty of which are free, which are way better than the integrated one. Yoyo is making a game creator, not a picture creator. Let the people who are good at making image editors do that...Yoyo should stick to the game engine.
3. People mention ways to do this, and there are shaders on the marketplace for it. I don't disagree that having a default way would be a bad thing...just that its another thing that is low on the priority list(higher than adding features to the image editor though :) ). Question for you @testaccountpleaseignore Do you know of another engine that has this feature integrated the way you want it? I don't know of any(but I don't know everything). What you are looking for is indeed palette swapping. Even if the provided a pre-made shader for it, you would still have to handle the palette creation...or if they made an automatic attempt at that it wouldn't fit exactly what you want without tweaking.

Just FYI...the people who are saying its an easy shader to create....they don't exactly mean easy overall(for some, shaders are pretty difficult). What they DO mean is that as far as shaders go, it is easy. In other words, comparing it to simply not writing a shader, it may be hard. But comparing writing that shader to writing other functional shaders....this one is easy. Its a simple palette swap...try something like vertex skinning(or skeletal animation) in the vertex shader, paired with something like PBR in the fragment shader(or even just something normal mapped with a basic lighting model). Worse, add shadow calculations....trust me. Palette swapping is easy.

erayzesen

Did you try image_blend method to do that? It's fast way some color operations on sprites. Actually most of engines have the similar methods, not more.

And coding of your own shader is amazing possibility to make advanced color operations. I recommend you to learn it. One of the good things about game maker.

Other issue, we can't still rescale to the selection area in the image editor, I think this is a more important and fundamental deficiency than you mentioned about image editor.

It's very easy feature, select an area and resize. There is the same feature in win98 paint software but not in gms2 . :D I am not expecting an improvement on the image editor anyway, I despaired. As @kburkhart84 says, there are very advanced softwares on the market, I use them. Sometimes I wish they had made a full-fledged particle editor instead of Image Editor. Because I don't use it.:rolleyes: (Except for minor adjustments)

T

testaccountpleaseignore

People really need to stop saying something is "easy" if they've never implemented it or attempted to implement it.

3. People mention ways to do this, and there are shaders on the marketplace for it. I don't disagree that having a default way would be a bad thing...just that its another thing that is low on the priority list(higher than adding features to the image editor though :) ). Question for you @testaccountpleaseignore Do you know of another engine that has this feature integrated the way you want it? I don't know of any(but I don't know everything). What you are looking for is indeed palette swapping. Even if the provided a pre-made shader for it, you would still have to handle the palette creation...or if they made an automatic attempt at that it wouldn't fit exactly what you want without tweaking.
Yeah ive seen the ones on the marketplace. They may be sufficient for simple graphics with very few colors, but even then, they require a lot of pallete creation and planning to implement. I'd rather just use extra memory and put in additional copies of the same animations that look better and don't require such a huge work and time investment. The problem comes when you have a lot of high quality animations.

As for engines with this built in functionality, Construct 2 has something called "HSB function" that allows you to easily shift the hue of a sprite.

And considering the number of games that use pallete swapping (or recoloring of sprites) and how efficient a method it is for multiplying content in a game, its probably a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

testaccountpleaseignore

If you are not able to program shaders, and you are willing to invest some money (which is very low anyway), you can find good shaders in the GM marketplace, such as Retro Palette Swapper.
As neat a creation as that is, its not a good solution for me, due to the fact that I would need to create a specific predefined pallet for every animation. The level of work ends up being as much, or comparable, to simply adding more sprites with different colors. It is very clever tho.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
As for engines with this built in functionality, Construct 2 has something called "HSB function" that allows you to easily shift the hue of a sprite.
Hue shifting is not the same thing as palette swapping. Do you know of an engine that comes by default with ACTUAL palette swapping?

Yeah ive seen the ones on the marketplace. They may be sufficient for simple graphics with very few colors, but even then, they require a lot of pallete creation and planning to implement. I'd rather just use extra memory and put in additional copies of the same animations that look better and don't require such a huge work and time investment. The problem comes when you have a lot of high quality animations.
That is going to be the case either way though...if you want a palette swapping feature, pre-created or otherwise, you are going to have to do the work to create the palettes anyway. An alternative could be using an image editor that lets you do palette swaps easily...it would waste memory and time importing it all, but you would avoid worrying about palette swapping after that.

T

testaccountpleaseignore

Hue shifting is not the same thing as palette swapping. Do you know of an engine that comes by default with ACTUAL palette swapping?
Hue shifting is the effect were talking about here. But also yes, construct 2 can replace a color (multiple) dynamically, which is essentially what you're asking for.

That is going to be the case either way though...if you want a palette swapping feature, pre-created or otherwise, you are going to have to do the work to create the palettes anyway. An alternative could be using an image editor that lets you do palette swaps easily...it would waste memory and time importing it all, but you would avoid worrying about palette swapping after that.
Nah, the whole idea of it being in-built, like construct 2 is that you dont have to do as much work. Thats really the whole idea of these tools in general. Obviously opening something up in photoshop and changing the hue is a solution, but its not a good solution.

When you have a high quality animation with many frames, memory is a premium. You cant simply add 20 copies of every asset to your game just to get a slightly different color variation.

xenoargh

OK, so what you want is, basically, something like doing Hue/Saturation in Photoshop?

There are several ways to do that, but basically, you need to write a RGB --> HSL conversion in the fragment shader, apply the hue shift, then return.

Z

zendraw

1. I've heard performance is indeed worse...some people have been able to fix it by disabling the garbage collector, but not everybody.
2. I don't disagree that it sucks for some people that the image editor is missing features it had previously....but I think the image editor should be pretty much at the bottom of the priority list. There are way too many things that are more important for them to fix(similar to the discussion on a GUI system in another topic, but this is even lower on the list). There are too many good image editors out there, plenty of which are free, which are way better than the integrated one. Yoyo is making a game creator, not a picture creator. Let the people who are good at making image editors do that...Yoyo should stick to the game engine.

Just FYI...the people who are saying its an easy shader to create....they don't exactly mean easy overall(for some, shaders are pretty difficult). What they DO mean is that as far as shaders go, it is easy. In other words, comparing it to simply not writing a shader, it may be hard. But comparing writing that shader to writing other functional shaders....this one is easy. Its a simple palette swap...try something like vertex skinning(or skeletal animation) in the vertex shader, paired with something like PBR in the fragment shader(or even just something normal mapped with a basic lighting model). Worse, add shadow calculations....trust me. Palette swapping is easy.
i don t know why every time the image editor of gm2 is brought up every1 in defence of it just ignores that gms1 had meny features? they were there, yoyo just didnt add them in for whatever reason? and other engines dont have such editors becouse of the extensive work around theyr assets that is done, like 3d modelling and rigging. you cant compare a 3d editing software with a 2d PIXEL ART software. and other engines are way more vast becouse they use 3d, unlike game maker who is exclusively sprite based. so a good sprite editor is needed. which exactly sprite editor can apply a glow effect with 1 press? i cant think of any, buit gms1`s editor. and tbh there are no good free image editors out there except gimp, which is NOT for animating. Aseprite last i heard is not free. and the editor NEEDS to have good animation support. 99% of the time you deal with animations in game maker, not just static images.

whatever any1 says, game maker`s current crappy image editor is a big minus. excuses can be made aways. you dont do a job with excuses. you market with them.

Roldy

In the time it took you to write and respond to this thread, you could have an HSV shader up and running in your game and be Hue shifting all you want.

dawidM

Totally agree with OP. The image editor is very poor in GMS2. It is a huge step back in comparison to one we had in gms1.4. Even copying and pasting is problematic ( it creates a brush, don't know why).

GMS is for 2d games, so a good and intuitive image and sprite editor is necessary. UX of the new sprite&image editor is bad. It would be good if there is some work on it on the roadmap.

YoYo, if you cannot implement this fixes quickly, please add an optional sprite/image editor from gms1.4. It would be really nice, and probably doesn't require a lot of work. Please, consider this.

T

testaccountpleaseignore

In the time it took you to write and respond to this thread, you could have an HSV shader up and running in your game and be Hue shifting all you want.
Not if you dont know anything about shaders.

Keep in mind that this suggestion isnt about if its possible. Its about if its possibly easily. Thats what gamemaker is about. Doing things easily. Thats why anyone is here.

For any problem there is always A solution. But A solution isnt always a good solution. For example, what if you cant do something in gamemaker so your solution is just to not do it in gamemaker. Is that a realistic solution?

Roldy

GMS is for 2d games, so a good and intuitive image and sprite editor is necessary.
Disagree. The bare bones editor they have is good enough. If you need more tools there a many available for free and purchase. The 1.4 Image editor was deficient as well. If you needed more features than it offered, then again you would have to look elsewhere. Same situation now. It can always have more. But in this case the 'more' should be engine tools, not art tools. e.g. Having a DnD shader tool would solve OPs other problem with inability to figure out how to change hue.

what if you cant do something in gamemaker so your solution is just to not do it in gamemaker. Is that a realistic solution?
Yes.

Last edited:

Japster

Reading this thread with interest....

...I have to agree about HUE shifting - it's completely out of your control for ALL but the primary colour that you want to shift to a new value, so while great where a single colour is used (as in my game TetraLogical's play tiles, ironically). the car example you show has NO control over all other colours - eg. You want a purple car? - The lights are gonna be blue! - Orange car? - again, an entirely different colour, or bunch of shades. So I don't think that this does the same thing as you were used to imn GMS 1.4 (I could be wrong of course!).

This is the biggest problem with a simple HUE shift, and it imho makes it more limiting and really, impossible to work around if you're using more than one primary colour. ...which basically means that image_blend can do the same, albeit in a more basic way...

I'm not suggesting that image_blend is THE solution to use, and I think certain solutions work well for different types of game, albeit performance permitting - @RefresherTowel 's solution to avoid a muted wash of one colour is simple but very effective - perhaps you're not keen on his end result, but the METHOD shows promise if you aren't dealing with huge amounts of complex objects... I'm guessing if I used the same method, I could put it to really good use!

...One instant benefit I can see is that if this was a top down animated planet, having different layers for the surface - Planet/oceans, land masses, clouds, satellites, etc, all rotating slightly differently, might give a nice pseudo-3D animated depth and parallax effect! :D

As regards palette swapping, this can be very powerful, but only if all colours in the image are mapped/counted in their entirety (all blue shades, etc)...

I can appreciate that the other solution you mention was probably easier, but in it's absence (and it doesn't look like it's returning soon, sadly), perhaps there is a benefit to at least thinking about, and maybe trying, some of the other solutions that fellow forumites have posted to try and help?

PS - Note regarding the shader - I'm not savvy with them (never written one, although looked at a few to see what's in them), but just assuming that I can grab any shader, and replace the fragment shader code to simply deduct (or add!) a shift value from each pixel's R, G, and B values, MODded by the range (1, 255, etc) to get the colour shift that you mention, if you really do just need HUE shift functionality?

erayzesen

When I first saw the introduction of gms2, I saw the image editor part as a plus. I was saying that this would take care of basic editing and save time. Unfortunately, it has very simple shortcomings and adding them should be very simple for a team-company. It is also a pity that it cannot be used just because of these.

This is really funny, when you collect the demands in all of posts, the following comes out;
-Ability to enlarge or reduce the selected area.
-Cut / copy / paste feature on selected areas.
-Hue saturation / brightness operations

These are incredibly simple features for the Yoyo Team. It is not difficult to add these features even for an application written by a single person. I just cannot understand this.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
i don t know why every time the image editor of gm2 is brought up every1 in defence of it just ignores that gms1 had meny features? they were there, yoyo just didnt add them in for whatever reason? and other engines dont have such editors becouse of the extensive work around theyr assets that is done, like 3d modelling and rigging. you cant compare a 3d editing software with a 2d PIXEL ART software. and other engines are way more vast becouse they use 3d, unlike game maker who is exclusively sprite based. so a good sprite editor is needed. which exactly sprite editor can apply a glow effect with 1 press? i cant think of any, buit gms1`s editor. and tbh there are no good free image editors out there except gimp, which is NOT for animating. Aseprite last i heard is not free. and the editor NEEDS to have good animation support. 99% of the time you deal with animations in game maker, not just static images.

whatever any1 says, game maker`s current crappy image editor is a big minus. excuses can be made aways. you dont do a job with excuses. you market with them.
You misunderstand me. I'm not defending it...I think its crap too. The difference is that I don't think its a priority as there are other image editors that are better to handle the job. What other game engine has a better integrated image editor. I've not seen one. Expecting a game engine to provide an image editor is simply flawed. Also, I'm pretty sure there are free image editors out there that fit the bill...but even if there aren't...well, not everything in life is free. If you want the good stuff, you gotta pay for it sometimes. Sorry....but welcome to life.

Totally agree with OP. The image editor is very poor in GMS2. It is a huge step back in comparison to one we had in gms1.4. Even copying and pasting is problematic ( it creates a brush, don't know why).

GMS is for 2d games, so a good and intuitive image and sprite editor is necessary. UX of the new sprite&image editor is bad. It would be good if there is some work on it on the roadmap.

YoYo, if you cannot implement this fixes quickly, please add an optional sprite/image editor from gms1.4. It would be really nice, and probably doesn't require a lot of work. Please, consider this.
Yes, I agree that the current editor is crap...but like I said above, it is not necessary for a GAME ENGINE to have a good integrated image editor. That's not really its job. Are you going to ask for sound creation next? Music composition? There is plenty of software out there for these separate jobs. The fact that they included an image editor at all is a pretty good deal. That said, I DO agree that it sucks that they downgraded it between GMS1 and 2, but life happens.

Hue shifting is the effect were talking about here. But also yes, construct 2 can replace a color (multiple) dynamically, which is essentially what you're asking for.
OK, I somehow got along thinking you wanted palette swapping instead of hue shifting. I don't like Hue shifting myself though...it doesn't usually create the nice results(not that the image_blend thing is perfect either). Palette swapping is the best way to ensure nice quality, whether done beforehand or through a shader.

Nah, the whole idea of it being in-built, like construct 2 is that you dont have to do as much work. Thats really the whole idea of these tools in general. Obviously opening something up in photoshop and changing the hue is a solution, but its not a good solution.

When you have a high quality animation with many frames, memory is a premium. You cant simply add 20 copies of every asset to your game just to get a slightly different color variation.
I don't disagree that the feature could be added and would be well received by many. And yes, I understand that having 20 copies just for some variation is overkill. But as the others have said, there are solutions, whether free, paid, or self made. You aren't wrong for making the suggestion...but you aren't right for telling people they are wrong when they tell you how to get around the lack of the feature for now.

For any problem there is always A solution. But A solution isnt always a good solution. For example, what if you cant do something in gamemaker so your solution is just to not do it in gamemaker. Is that a realistic solution?
I agree with Roldy, if the tool isn't good enough, you either learn what you need to make it better, obtain(free or paid) what you need to make it better, use a different tool, or forget about the feature/project.

erayzesen

What other game engine has a better integrated image editor. I've not seen one. Expecting a game engine to provide an image editor is simply flawed. Also, I'm pretty sure there are free image editors out there that fit the bill.
But we have a problem like this, game maker markets it as an internal tool, it says I have this in my game engine. But it is not ethical to leave this incomplete and just turn it into a marketing showcase.

There is a situation like this, this editor has a brush feature. (I don't know how much priority it should be) There is a layer feature ( This is also a special feature.), but you cannot do simple mspaint 98 functions such as copying, pasting, editing what you have selected somewhere.

So, this would be fooling people and I hope yoyo games will fix these shortcomings over time by taking this into account.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
But we have a problem like this, game maker markets it as an internal tool, it says I have this in my game engine. But it is not ethical to leave this incomplete and just turn it into a marketing showcase.

There is a situation like this, this editor has a brush feature. (I don't know how much priority it should be) There is a layer feature ( This is also a special feature.), but you cannot do simple mspaint 98 functions such as copying, pasting, editing what you have selected somewhere.

So, this would be fooling people and I hope yoyo games will fix these shortcomings over time by taking this into account.
I don't see the issue though...does it NOT have the brush feature...does it not have the layers feature? If it doesn't have the copy/paste thing you are looking for, was that specifically advertised? It seems to me that they are doing what businesses do, advertising what they have, and leaving out what they don't. Any assumptions made based on that is the fault of the person doing the assuming.

I've said before, I'm not saying they should never upgrade the image editor...I just think there are much higher priorities.

Z

zendraw

other engines are nto sprite based, they are mainly 3d and support 3d game dev well. and i dont see your point since no1 is sayng that you cant use other image editors. there are people who used MSpaint, (UnEpic). we are complaining bout the image editor becouse there was a better one, and in a new version of the ide youd expect an even better one. its a complaint, not advice seeking. you dont tell a complaining person that hes wrong or give him advices, he doesnt seek help, he has a pretence towards the product...

Z

zendraw

On this we agree, I never did figure out why they went backwards with that.

We can try though!
thats violence. and violence breeds endless vengeanse, and thots how topics with endles pondering are created. theyr birth essense is vengeance.

erayzesen

I've said before, I'm not saying they should never upgrade the image editor...I just think there are much higher priorities.
These features we talked about are very simple things. If it was a technically difficult and long-term innovation, I could understand you.(We discussed earlier, the gui system. ) If we look at the priority order, nothing has been done about it for 3 years.

But I believe this situation will change. It is a pity that such a tool cannot be used because there are not 2-3 technical features that are simple to add.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
isnt that basicly cracking it?
Its Open Source software, legal for use just fine. The paid version is basically them compiling it for you for a fee, and provides a way for people to provide monetary support. But yes, if you choose to not provide that support, you can still compile it yourself. It is like other open source software except that with some other software they choose to give away the compiled form as well.

rIKmAN

isnt that basicly cracking it?
No, I wouldn't provide instruction for you to crack software lol.
It's downloading the source code provided by the creators on GitHub, following the compilation instructions - again privided by the creators on GitHub - and building your own exe.

If you want to buy a licence to show support and save yourself the hassle by getting access to prebuilt executables then you can also do that for ~$15, but given your previous reply about it not being free I thought I'd explain that it is if you spend 15mins compiling it yourself using the instructions from the link I posted.

Aseprite is awesome btw, I used to hate the pixel art UI but it's since grown on me and with a dark skin it's great.
I've never understood the love for GMS1 effects as I always thought they looked pretty naff tbh.

Even then, it's not expensive at all on steam. Great pixel art software.
I agree, but they specifically complained about it not being free, so I thought I should let them know that it actually is if you compile it yourself.

No, I wouldn't provide instruction for you to crack software lol.
It's downloading the source code provided by the creators on GitHub, following the compilation instructions - again privided by the creators on GitHub - and building your own exe.

If you want to buy a licence to show support and save yourself the hassle by getting access to prebuilt executables then you can also do that for ~$15, but given your previous reply about it not being free I thought I'd explain that it is if you spend 15mins compiling it yourself using the instructions from the link I posted.

Aseprite is awesome btw, I used to hate the pixel art UI but it's since grown on me and with a dark skin it's great.
I've never understood the love for GMS1 effects as I always thought they looked pretty naff tbh.

I agree, but they specifically complained about it not being free, so I thought I should let them know that it actually is if you compile it yourself.
Asesprite, once you get into it, might be "the most value you can ever get out of a cheap product".

I paid 15 bucks,
it's now 9000+ hours "played" on my steam.

Damn.

erayzesen

@zendraw I don't know where are you from but if you want to purchase asesprite and if the price is high in dollars, you can buy it on steam. As Steam applies a fixed exchange rate, the product will be cheaper in your country with your currency.

I agree with other friends, Aseprite is a very nice software for making pixel graphics.

edit: I should also mention that it will have advanced tools for tilemaping soon.