Some questions

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Icenfire, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Icenfire

Icenfire Member

A long time ago I started using Game Maker (early 2000) for a few years and then Ieft it for what it was.

Now I'm back and I have some questions.

I plan to make games for mobile devices, but don't know if there are any restrictions compared to a pc export.

Will games run smooth 60fps on newer devices?

Can you just export an apk in gms2 and test it on your pc in a virtual machine?

When you buy the Mobile license, you can't export an exe and have to buy the pc license too?

Are html5 games slower, or do they also run in 60fps smoothly?

Is it possible to import big backgrounds and does it slow the game?

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

Yes, though you may still have to watch for not doing anything excessive

Yes, but you'd probably want to test on a real device too, as general-case (like the ones in Android SDK) emulators aren't particularly performance-focused. There are x86-based emulators (like the Hyper-V one in Visual Studio), but these may not be an appropriate reflection of a physical device either due to utilizing your desktop GPU.

You can test from IDE, but you cannot export executables.

HTML5 games aren't inherently slower (in fact, some code may work faster than on native due to browsers getting better and better at optimizing JavaScript code), but it is a different environment from native targets, and optimization specifics can also differ. Still, browser tools include a JS profiler so it's nothing impossible.

Depends on how big we are talking - ultimately you are limited by maximum texture size and GPU memory. On mobile you'd usually either slice massive backgrounds into portions under 2048x2048 or see if there are other ways of accomplishing the effect.