Some of most popular games made with Game Maker (on Steam, by the end of 2020)

Xitilon

Hi, everyone!
I thought, what are the actual numbers behind games made with Game Maker? Everyone (well, almost) heard about UnderTale, Katana Zero, etc, but how much exactly are they popular? Not talking about money here, just the reception, without taking positive/negative opinions into account, only Steam, and most surely not every GM game ever published to Steam.
Here's the data I've gathered:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mqcqh9G20bH4nwyVIQn3OIXHdL8gzgyztdC6b8exiQM/edit?usp=sharing
Comments are welcome, I'll continue working on this table... for some time, at least.

Last edited:

Mk.2

There's also Another Metroid 2 Remake which isn't on Steam obviously, but was very well received.

Xitilon

Thanks for the advices!
I've added AM2R to honorable mentions (heard of it actually), while adding Duke of Defence and Nova Drift to the main table. Levelhead already was there.

Mk.2

Joymasher, the devs of Blazing Chrome, have two other titles on Steam, Oniken and Odallus: The Dark Call.

Xitilon

There is a whole lot of games which could have been easily (or at least possibly) made in Game Maker, but they aren't. Like, for example, everything made by Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg!

O.Stogden

10 Second Ninja X, Uncanny Valley, Stealth Inc. Deluxe (Stealth B**tard Deluxe officially), Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon. A few more there, that have been reasonably popular.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Well, my little game got a very good reception, have 27 Reviews, with "Mostly Positive" category. =]
But I doubt that anyone heard about it.

There is also the GM Showcase if you want to see all GM Games (that they consider).

Japster

My labour of love Windows/Steam puzzle/strategy game TetraLogical is written entirely in GMS2 / GML, and has a small but loyal fanbase - Only sold about 150 copies in 18 months though... :( ...Not even hit the target for getting refunded my £80 initial fee....

I'll be honest, they're really depressing figures, as I honestly do think my game is great - the best I've made, for sure... (Some players have put over 100 hours into it, and still going!).... :(

Fern

Chronicon is a popular game on Steam made with Game Maker. Also hai. I just want to say I'm so elated to see anybody that doesn't know know me directly knows of my games. :)

Xitilon

I was busy (mostly with porting, testing and publishing games to Xbox One and now PS4), but right now I'm updating the table! Thanks to everyone! Check out the same link in the first post to see the new version.

you missed Thy Sword

I loved that game.
Added.

10 Second Ninja X, Uncanny Valley, Stealth Inc. Deluxe (Stealth B**tard Deluxe officially), Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon. A few more there, that have been reasonably popular.
Whoa, a lot of games. Added.

Well, my little game got a very good reception, have 27 Reviews, with "Mostly Positive" category. =]
But I doubt that anyone heard about it.

There is also the GM Showcase if you want to see all GM Games (that they consider).
I've added your game. And well, there's a lot of games that are unheard of. It just happens.

Also, GM Showcase is now fully present in my list (as of Steam releases at least, which is my actual goal).

My favourite game. The Eternal Castle. @Heavybrush
Done.

Hmm dunno you could add Gleaner Heights I guess
Why not. Added.

Cinders, World of Horror, and Mario Forever are made in Gamemaker.
Added the first two, thanks.

Mario Forever seems to be made with MultiMedia Fusion, though: https://marioforever.fandom.com/wiki/Mario_Forever

My labour of love Windows/Steam puzzle/strategy game TetraLogical is written entirely in GMS2 / GML, and has a small but loyal fanbase - Only sold about 150 copies in 18 months though... :( ...Not even hit the target for getting refunded my £80 initial fee....

I'll be honest, they're really depressing figures, as I honestly do think my game is great - the best I've made, for sure... (Some players have put over 100 hours into it, and still going!).... :(
TetraLogical is one fine game. Small and loyal fanbase is still nice to have! Makes me wonder - why exactly 21 CPU Opponents, is there some special system involved in constructing them, which mandates the number?

Also, soundtrack by SKAVEN?! Nowadays people have no idea who's that, but I do. The OST is very solid!

I recommend pushing the game to more platforms - GameMaker allows this quite easily!

Last edited:

drandula

Remember the Spelunky classic is made with GMS, but I don't think Spelunky and Spelunky 2 are. I just took quick glance and it seemed they were on the list?

O.Stogden

Yeah, I think the 2008 Spelunky that had its source code released was made in GM, as I modified it and got it working on my OUYA haha. But I think Spelunky HD and 2 were moved over to something else for the console releases.

Xitilon

Spelunky was originally made in GameMaker 8.1. And its architecture is remarkably horrible, but I was shocked by the fact that I've never noticed it runs on 30 FPS. Literally, all the animations and movements are precisely made so that it feels like it's 60 FPS, but it's not. Amazing.

Xitilon

Congratulations! On that occasion, I've moved it from WIP to 2 reviews. From now on, I don't think I'll be updating the table until I whip up some automatic way of looking up the Steam review count, maybe in 2021.

HalRiyami

@Xitilon You need to use importxml to automatically fetch the review count from the steam page. It also means you probably want each game to be on a new row to make it easier.

Xitilon

Maldita Castilla was originally a GM game. Dunno if it's on Steam, but it's on multiple platforms now.
It's there, "Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla EX)", currently ranked 60th. One of the first things I did was including all Locomalito's games that are on Steam.

HalRiyami

@Xitilon Here is an example for undertale:
You'll first want to get the link to the steam store page e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/Undertale/
Then on use =TEXT(ABS(IMPORTXML(B5, "//label[@for='purchase_type_all']/span[@class='user_reviews_count']")),"#,###") where B5 is the cell containing the link and that's it.

You could do the same thing to get the title, genre, publisher, publishing date, etc... and all you'd need is the link to the steam store page.
Let me know if you need help.

Japster

...TetraLogical is one fine game. Small and loyal fanbase is still nice to have! Makes me wonder - why exactly 21 CPU Opponents, is there some special system involved in constructing them, which mandates the number?

Also, soundtrack by SKAVEN?! Nowadays people have no idea who's that, but I do. The OST is very solid!

I recommend pushing the game to more platforms - GameMaker allows this quite easily!
Many thanks for the kind words! - and also... So sorry, thought I'd responded to this mate! - Nope, literally, I could fit 3 rows of 7, so my OCD wouldn't let me stop at 20... :D I then gave each a bit of personality, and each, a bit (or lot) more intelligence... :D

...and so glad you're from my era, and know of Skaven! - he's an absolute legend, and such a generous gesture, letting me use his tracks, and so many of them! - definitely indebted to him, hence another reason I wanted it to actually do well, to thank him properly... :(

knightshaft

I don't think I'll be updating the table until I whip up some automatic way of looking up the Steam review count, maybe in 2021.
Game creators could submit their Steam App URL and you could use a screen scraper to get the number of reviews. Maybe also use a CRON job to update once a week.

While I'm here. Don Flatus: Poop Hunter - 7 Reviews

M

mobiusdisco

I'm always surprised by some of the brilliant games made on game maker, big fan of Nuclear throne.

Xitilon

Added those.

@Xitilon Here is an example for undertale:
You'll first want to get the link to the steam store page e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/Undertale/
Then on use =TEXT(ABS(IMPORTXML(B5, "//label[@for='purchase_type_all']/span[@class='user_reviews_count']")),"#,###") where B5 is the cell containing the link and that's it.

You could do the same thing to get the title, genre, publisher, publishing date, etc... and all you'd need is the link to the steam store page.
Let me know if you need help.
Thanks for the tip, it really works, though for some reason it said there's a syntax error and I had to replace the ","s with the ";"s in the formula, and also the TEXT() somehow trimmed the ~140000 reviews of Undertale to just 140. Must be an regional number format delimiters issue. I've just removed the TEXT() altogether and it works fine. It's a lot of work to hunt down all the links for 150+ games now though, so maybe I'll do that only for the top-20 or so.

Fern

My game did great on Steam but I don't think it would be good to link to adult games lol.
Actually interestingly enough. It says in the EULA for Game Maker that you are not to use it for that sort of game apparently. Though it's obviously ok as long as you don't associate them with it.

Kyrieru

Actually interestingly enough. It says in the EULA for Game Maker that you are not to use it for that sort of game apparently. Though it's obviously ok as long as you don't associate them with it.
I never attached much meaning to that. To me that was always more of a community thing when it comes to sites dedicated to GM games.
Otherwise it's sort of a weird thing to specify.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Seems kind of backwards to promote making games is for everyone and Game maker can make x,y & z type games.
but you're not allowed to make A, b & c games.

So i'd have to assume as long as your adult game isnt promoting the yoyo brand then you're okay

HalRiyami

Added those.

Thanks for the tip, it really works, though for some reason it said there's a syntax error and I had to replace the ","s with the ";"s in the formula, and also the TEXT() somehow trimmed the ~140000 reviews of Undertale to just 140. Must be an regional number format delimiters issue. I've just removed the TEXT() altogether and it works fine. It's a lot of work to hunt down all the links for 150+ games now though, so maybe I'll do that only for the top-20 or so.
Yeah, that could be it. One thing about this is that you can do this for all the other information you need just from having the link. You could set it up so that you can get the title, publisher, genre, etc... all in one go just by having the link and anyone who wants to add their game or something they can send the steam page link instead. All you'd have to do is add that and be done.