GMS 2 SOME MISSING MAJOR FEATURES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane Emark

I've been following the new release features lately and gamemaker got huge upgrades
But still there are some features that would make this program even more AWESOME :
- gui improvements
- lighting system
- particle improvements and gui based editor
What do you think about them ?

muki

For lighting, as long as it doesn't lock you in if it's a limited implementation. Some of the popular marketplace ones only work on square shadow casters, or force you to draw a poly mask. These are not good implementations in my opinion.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I've been following the new release features lately and gamemaker got huge upgrades
But still there are some features that would make this program even more AWESOME :
I agree!
gui improvements
GUI for the IDE or for the games? They have lots of IDE improvement stuff on the roadmap, and for actual games they added the 9-slice stuff last version which helps. A real GUI system wouldn't be a bad thing, but it will be something that will take them lots of effort and not much gain considering that they already provide all the tools we need to make our own GUIs.

lighting system
This is something that is pretty much going to be different for each game based on the needs. The tools are also there for this, especially looking at the shaders(which need improvements too). There are several lighting engines out there, ranging from simple sprite based stuff to actual normal based stuff.

particle improvements and gui based editor
If I'm not mistaken, this is also on the roadmap, at the least the GUI editor part.

Lighting seems like a real game-by-game basis kind of deal. I'd rather make one from scratch than try and crowbar a packaged one into the game.

As for particle improvements I'd be happy to see that, especially with a built in particle/GUI editor.

But do you mean GUI improvements for the Game Maker 2 software? Honestly I think it's awesome. I plan on building my prototype in Godot as well (and I know Godot is great) but navigating the programme is awful compared to the work spaces. I'd say GM2 has one of the best interfaces.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This forum is for discussing things related to the community, not GameMaker... Also, topics that are basically a wish list of features are not really helpful nor interesting. We all have out own hopes and wishes for the product but unless we tell the devs, then it's pretty much like saying "I'd like a pony". Nice ideas, but of no practical use. You can use the YYG contact form to suggest new features, so go ahead and do that! Let the devs know what you want, but be sure to justify the requests and explain why you think they should be added and be a priority. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.