• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Some ideas / feedback

DukeSoft

Heya, I'm testing the beta as we speak, and I'm just going to write some of the things that pop into my mind from the start;

- Wow - very aesthetically pleasing!

- Feels much smoother than GM:S1 already.

- All my items are on the right... Lets drag that to the left. Used to it. Glad that i can drag it - feels intuitive and good.

- Okay, lets add a sprite (RMB -> Create). Works intuitive and good!

- I double click the sprite to edit it. It seems to just be changing the origin. I'm going to run into this problem a lot and will probably change my origin accidentally a lot of times...

- I prefer the sprite origin to be in the center. There used to be a single button for it, now its 2 clicks. Maybe even default it in the center?

- Lets create an object. Same as the sprite, works fine! I recognize a lot of options from GM:S. Nice!

- Lets add a wall sprite.

- It opens the sprite below all the other windows as well? I have 2400 pixels consumed for a sprite, an object, and another sprite... Lets get this in 1 view.

- I cant "overlap" windows. Seems like this is a feature, but it feels annoying to me - Every window on my PC can overlap, why not these? Putting one above another one will make me have to drag it completely to the top.

- Can I adjust the scroll speed? If i want to swap between 2 sprites, I now have to scroll 3 times to get to another window.

- When a sprite is in the "sprite window" and my mouse is on there it scrolls up and down, even if the sprite fits in the window.

- I'm going to edit my first sprite... Where was that edit button again? Maybe some very subtle colours on buttons will help? Some buttons seem to have the same BG colour as the window they are in - hard to see that they are buttons.

- Every control / tool (ie sprite editor) is on my right. I'm used to having it on my left - almost every program that i use has it on the left. I can't seem to change it.

- Okay, back to the object.. Add an event.. Step.. Neat! Immediately i have a code window! this is great. No more step events with 1 GML thingie in it.

- Editor feels.... AWESOME! Code is sharp - less blurry than the old GM. Clear colours. Love the autocompletion popups! Tabbing / indenting feels MUCH better. Still not perfect though..

- I'm on the end of an indented line ( if (true == false) {| ) - for every shift+ctrl i press, I select a bit of code in front of it. Works good until i reach if (| . Another CTRL+SHIFT to the left and it also selected the identation :/ Going back to the right it _does_ jump to the beginning point ( |if ( ).

- I copy an indented piece of code, and stick it in a deeper indented level. Identation is SO much better than the old GM:S (old GM:S likes to do 50 spaces at some points), but still, identation is off.

Code:
if (true == false) {
    //this is a test
    if (somecode == 1) {
        exec_other_code();
    }
}
// Select all above, and paste it above "exec_other_code();" and we end up with this:
if (true == false) {
    //this is a test
    if (somecode == 1) {
        if (true == false) {
    //this is a test
    if (somecode == 1) {
        exec_other_code();
    }
}
    }

}

// instead of this;
if (true == false) {
    //this is a test
    if (somecode == 1) {
        if (true == false) {
            //this is a test
            if (somecode == 1) {
                exec_other_code();
            }
        }
    }

}
- Okay, done some code on the player object. Sweet! Looks clear, logical and intuitive. I love the new syntax highlight colours of the editor!

- I create a new room

- How do i add the objects in there...??

- I guess i'll have to go to my tab "resources" and drag em in

- Okay, that seems to work.. Don't know why i would want that because I wouldn't drag paths, scripts, shaders, fonts or timelines into there... but ok

- Allright, player is in. Background is black.. How do i change it?

- Where's the background settings...?

- Ah, it now has become a layer. Cool! Doubleclick...

- A tab lights up. Guess i'll open it..

- Oh, i can't double click on it? I have to press the caret... Okay.

- This also pushes down "room0 properties" and "feels" like it closes it - but its still open. As I can't scroll in the complete left bar, i'll have to close one or the other to view the properties again.

- Anyhow, lets change the colour.

- I'm ramming the square thingie thatlooks like a colour selector

- Oh, thats the sprite preview.. okay

- Oh wow, that color picker looks AWESOME. Much better than the default windows one!

- Dragging the slider is choppy... I prefer smooth, so i can quickly see subtle changes in the colour

- Now to make some walls..

- Wrong layer selected..? Ah, yeah, background... Go back to room editor tab -> select instances layer -> open resources again.

- Drag in a wall.

- This can't be right. I'm doing something wrong. I used to be able to draw a whole bunch like a pencil. How do i do that?

- Searching to select my wall as a brush...

- Oh wow, that text there tells me to use alt+lmb?

- Okay, odd, i guess i'll have to get used to that then

- I placed one wrong. How do i delete it? Right mouse button doesn't work.

- ALT+RMB doesnt work either..

- Select it and press the delete button on my keyboard

- Works.... Thats inefficient, but okay

- Lets run my game!

- Nice, works good.

- The lovely debugger is still there.. Thank god!

Overall - interesting experience. With some small tweaks to the UI this has very good potential. I'm going to try out some more and come back with my experience :)

So far - VERY nice work guys. I raise my glass. Cheers & congrats on the beta release!

DukeSoft

WOW. The CTRL+Scrolling in the workspace. Holy cow. This is good. If you can make my windows overlap, I would be so happy.

Can't wait to use this on a 4k monitor

Z

zircher

Heh, sounds like a dual screen set up is in the future for me.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When you have a few things open in a workspace...

CONTROL + TAB

When you want to find something specific...

CONTROL + T

(thank me tomorrow) ;)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
There is a preference to allow overlapping chains. Each chain is as you see it, but you can then overlap with other chains.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
- I prefer the sprite origin to be in the center. There used to be a single button for it, now its 2 clicks. Maybe even default it in the center?
Actually... there is a preference to set your DEFAULT selection. So set it to centre and never have to change it again :)
(in Preferences->Sprite Editor->Default origin for new sprites)