• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX Some beginner questions

K

krisde

Hi,

I am completely new to game development, following the tutorial "My First Game".

There are some questions that arise and I was not able to solve through searching Google / this forum. Hope someone could help me out a bit.
  1. The coding experience is a bit difficult to me, since I code with Sublime Text / Atom at work (websites). They have features I miss in GMS 2. Such as auto-closing brackets and multiple cursors. Are there any settings for the code editor I am missing?
  2. In chapter 5 (Scoring) of the tutorial, the author used with() to raise the score variable inside obj_score. I am wondering if this has advantages over the simpler dot notation (obj_score.thescore += 5 for example). Both seem to work. Or is this personal preference only?
  3. As of this bug report in Mac beta, show_debug_message() was fixed and should work. But with newest GMS 2 (IDE v2.1.2.257 Runtime v2.1.2.172), it doesn't output anything in the output window. The ticket references OS X El Capitan, I am on High Sierra (newest).
Greetings from Germany

OverLogic

1. no you can't do anything about it
2. pretty much but you can use the with() if you want to do a lot of stuff
3. i am on gms1.4 and i don't know how to help you on that.

R

Ragedleinad

Hi,

I am completely new to game development, following the tutorial "My First Game".

There are some questions that arise and I was not able to solve through searching Google / this forum. Hope someone could help me out a bit.
  1. The coding experience is a bit difficult to me, since I code with Sublime Text / Atom at work (websites). They have features I miss in GMS 2. Such as auto-closing brackets and multiple cursors. Are there any settings for the code editor I am missing?
  2. In chapter 5 (Scoring) of the tutorial, the author used with() to raise the score variable inside obj_score. I am wondering if this has advantages over the simpler dot notation (obj_score.thescore += 5 for example). Both seem to work. Or is this personal preference only?
  3. As of this bug report in Mac beta, show_debug_message() was fixed and should work. But with newest GMS 2 (IDE v2.1.2.257 Runtime v2.1.2.172), it doesn't output anything in the output window. The ticket references OS X El Capitan, I am on High Sierra (newest).
Greetings from Germany
OverLogic has responded but....
1 - I come from the same background has you, web designer, I work more with php, js,python,mysql,etc. So I understand the feeling XD
2 - In the tutorials it sais to use with and inside of this code use "other.variable" to represent the actual object of the event, I normally use object.variable but it depends on what you are more confortable, both work
3 - I don't use mac so I can't help you

Nice day!

K

krisde

Thanks all for your answers.

Any chance that the code editor will get an update in the future?
And are there any Mac users with the same show_debug_message() bug?

@IndianaBones I will keep this in mind, thanks for the explanation.