• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Development Some advice

L

lizosoft

Hi all.

In 2012 i made a game that i wasn't able to release due to being rejected in copyright claim by Mattel.
Its been resolved now and they were excellent but i stopped the project because i was limited to what i wanted to achieve.
( i created this game with another game engine : Link: http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/136545

I am now going to use GM to give it a go, i was wondering, is it possible to create games for PS4 as id like to go down the road.
Just a few questions if someone can answer for me id be super grateful.

Im just looking, wondering how much is it cost me so i have no restrictions in what i can achieve and program it on a windows desktop and looking to export it to work on iphones, pc and PS4.
1) Also, the game i created on the other engine is hear, am i able to achieve something on the same graphical level on this engine here ?
2) Is it possible to export tit to work on ps4?
3) are there any significant advantages in using GM over other engines? ( ive done some research, just curious on peoples thoughts who have had hands experience )
4) The game i was currently working on ive stopped as i want to focus on platform 2d, what do you guys think of the game above i posted, is there any demand for that type of game anymore? (i created it when angry birds was a thing :) )

Thanks so much

(i apologise if im not allowed to post something from another engine, if its against the rules, you can delete the game i posted )

• Wow
Reactions: Mut

Toque

I think a lot of it you can find on the main website. I used gamesalad for a few years. Gamemaker can do a lot more than ganesalad but it’s a lot more complicated.

if you watch the rocks tutorial and use the free trial to play with it to see if it’s for you.

2-d games are a good fit for gamemaker.

L

lizosoft

I think a lot of it you can find on the main website. I used gamesalad for a few years. Gamemaker can do a lot more than ganesalad but it’s a lot more complicated.

if you watch the rocks tutorial and use the free trial to play with it to see if it’s for you.

2-d games are a good fit for gamemaker.
Ok thanks alot, appreciate it.

O.Stogden

1) Also, the game i created on the other engine is hear, am i able to achieve something on the same graphical level on this engine here ?
3) are there any significant advantages in using GM over other engines? ( ive done some research, just curious on peoples thoughts who have had hands experience )
4) The game i was currently working on ive stopped as i want to focus on platform 2d, what do you guys think of the game above i posted, is there any demand for that type of game anymore? (i created it when angry birds was a thing :) )
1) GM is capable of most things in the 2D side of things, and basic 3D stuff. You shouldn't really find much limitation there. Definitely will handle your Gamesalad game. Take a look at the projects in the Work-in-Progress or Made With GameMaker sections on this forum, to see what people have done in GM. Popular games such as Hotline Miami, Nova Drift, Forager, Risk of Rain, were also made in GM.

2) GM does support export to consoles, however it is a yearly subscription, and you'd need approval from Sony as well. Might be something to consider after you have a fair amount of experience with GM and maybe have released a commercial project on Steam etc. As Steam would be easier than consoles, and would give you an idea of how involved things can get.

3) GM is perhaps easier to use than other engines, it uses GML, which is a somewhat simplified and forgiving programming language, compared to C# or C++ which is used by a couple of other popular engines. Its main advantage is that it's easy to hop into.

4) There's plenty of demand for 2D platformers I feel. The new Yooka-Laylee game did well, as have others such as Ori, Celeste and Gris. I think you probably need something unique or at least very polished to be successful in the genre though. Gris and Ori had visual elements that drew people in for example. For Angry Birds (Do you mean Flappy Bird?) style games, I would say that the demand has probably passed now, and would only be suitable for mobile platforms anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mut

samspade

Yes. As other's have said, basically anything 2D (that can be accomplished by a small team at least) is doable in GameMaker. This page has a great list of releases made in GameMaker.

Yes. But make sure you understand the pricing. The console licenses are, unsurprisingly, the most expensive. They are also the only non-forever ones. So if you're just getting into GameMaker, you'd probably want to start with a normal desktop or creator license, and see how it goes for a year or so. The licenses also only control what you can export to. GM itself would be the same.

It's focused on 2D, which means first that it's good at it, and second that you don't have to ignore a lot of extraneous 3D stuff. It's also got a much lower barrier to entry. GML is a very straight forward language. It does have a lower ceiling than other engines (notably on the 3D and networking sides) but that ceiling is more than high enough for the vast majority of single developers, especially if you don't have a coding background. As you can see from the showcase page the level of quality you can get is very high.

To be honest, the link didn't seem to work for me, or I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. But I would say that this is a little bit of the wrong question. If you're just getting started again, I would focus on making the game you want, the one that will motivate you.

O.Stogden

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood question #4 to be about 2D Platformers, not a Flappy Bird clone. I have edited my previous post because of that.

And definitely, as Samspade said, you need to work on a game you want to work on, not a game that you think will make money. Money is not a good motivator for most people, and when you're working on a project for potentially several years, you need to love and have a passion for the project to keep going.

L

lizosoft

Hi thanks guys, super helpful, really appreciate that alot.
Thanks for taking time to answer the questions in detail, i will sure be now downloading this and following some tutorials and getting the hang of it.
Ive done alot of work in the past with Borland Delphi so i cant wait to get started to see how its all going to work, thanks alot guys.