Released Soma - free on Android and iOS - no ads!

soma-feature.png

An atmospheric game where you collect soma and grow as large as you can.

Runner up of Game Jam Aotearoa 2020.

Soma is a casual game with no ads or in-app purchases. The two goals are to stay on screen for as long as you can and collect all the soma.

It's that easy for you though! There are the blue repellers that will push you around and as you collect more soma, you grow larger. The larger you are, the more of the blue repellers there seems to be... and these things just get in the way! So what will your high score be?

Gameplay:

Try Soma today!

Attachments

Last edited:

Toque

Ok. Playing it. Interesting game. Pretty simple concept. It’s ok. It was fun to play a bit. It lacks advancement or achievement. A little too loosy goosy controls for my taste. Good job.

I agree with @Toque . The simplicity of your game is attractive. But just plating to play gets boring fast. A few examples of advancement/achievements:

• Upgrading yourself to make repellers less powerfull to make it easier to navigate
• New skins/colors
• Variety of repellers, weaker and more powerfull ones
• Different background colors to show your advancement in 1 single shot. Example, from pitch black to dark green to dark blue to dark lava-ish red with some textures.
• Different somas with different abilities, temporary no effect of repellers, temporary destruction of repellers, temporary more additional somas

You do not need to add leaderboards or saves, just a simple advancement possibility within the current play. If you die, start over again, thats it. I can sens that you want to keep the game simple so online stuff and progression save does not seem to be the goal. So I think that a simple upgrade mechanism within your current play will add more to the replay value and if you add randomness, this makes it interesting for each different play.

That's my opinion. Nice idea by the way. Simple games don't always get the attention they deserve and with our fast paced world, simple fast games you can play on your lunch break are superb ideas. Your game is good, there's place for VERY good improvement and potential. Keep it up! And nice simple graphics too!

Thanks for giving it a go @Toque! Definitely a simple game which takes a few goes to master the controls.

And wow, thanks @David Richard for all the feedback and suggestions!!

Definitely wanting to keep this simple, but your suggestions do still keep that and add a bit of depth! Love the changing background idea!

I had already been thinking of the different somas with temporary effects with a couple being the ones you mentioned, had thought of:
  • A soma which makes a wave which pushes away all repellers on screen.
  • A soma which makes you able to go through repellers.
  • A soma which slows down all repellers (music and background particles would match for the effect).
Also thought of a type of soma which would more shrink you as a way to keep the player from getting to big in higher scores.

Thanks again for the time in sending all this amazing feedback :)

Thanks for giving it a go @Toque! Definitely a simple game which takes a few goes to master the controls.

And wow, thanks @David Richard for all the feedback and suggestions!!

Definitely wanting to keep this simple, but your suggestions do still keep that and add a bit of depth! Love the changing background idea!

I had already been thinking of the different somas with temporary effects with a couple being the ones you mentioned, had thought of:
  • A soma which makes a wave which pushes away all repellers on screen.
  • A soma which makes you able to go through repellers.
  • A soma which slows down all repellers (music and background particles would match for the effect).
Also thought of a type of soma which would more shrink you as a way to keep the player from getting to big in higher scores.

Thanks again for the time in sending all this amazing feedback :)
Well, hey! Feedback is what makes a game grow. You cannot know everything people think of without feedback. You have excellent graphics and a lot of possibilities. And since your game is simple, exactly how I love them, it's worth to see possible updates. Your ideas are good too, did not think of these. If you keep it out of the pay-to-win or online-competition scopes, it's perfect for me. The only thing that should be kept saved is your highest score to know how to surpass yourself.

AND, I can add this, money-wise, if you want to keep the game simple, there is a money gaining with watch-to-gain methods. Basically, a button on every start of game that permits you to see an ad to gain special abilities. So anyone can simply NOT click the button, therefore, no ads, never. Its a way to gain little money without harrassing anyone because absolutely no ads are forced and the game is perfectly playable without ads.

Now, that being said, once you get some powerups to happen, you can start thinking of a soma-coin mechanism to permit you to have x-seconds of a particular boost to begin with. And of course, nothing online, just local stuff. Your game has so much different possibilities and THAT without any ads or harrassing stuff.

These are just ideas I throw, but you are the author and I think, with your graphics and ambiance, your game can become popular easily. Keep it up and you don't need to do big upgrades, you can do small upgrades on a weekly or bi-weekly basis without stressing out with huge versions. People like me will simply enjoy short games like yours without the ad-hassles and making it calm and smooth.

But Good Job again for the idea and simplicity, continue!!!

Well, hey! Feedback is what makes a game grow. You cannot know everything people think of without feedback. You have excellent graphics and a lot of possibilities. And since your game is simple, exactly how I love them, it's worth to see possible updates. Your ideas are good too, did not think of these. If you keep it out of the pay-to-win or online-competition scopes, it's perfect for me. The only thing that should be kept saved is your highest score to know how to surpass yourself.

AND, I can add this, money-wise, if you want to keep the game simple, there is a money gaining with watch-to-gain methods. Basically, a button on every start of game that permits you to see an ad to gain special abilities. So anyone can simply NOT click the button, therefore, no ads, never. Its a way to gain little money without harrassing anyone because absolutely no ads are forced and the game is perfectly playable without ads.

Now, that being said, once you get some powerups to happen, you can start thinking of a soma-coin mechanism to permit you to have x-seconds of a particular boost to begin with. And of course, nothing online, just local stuff. Your game has so much different possibilities and THAT without any ads or harrassing stuff.

These are just ideas I throw, but you are the author and I think, with your graphics and ambiance, your game can become popular easily. Keep it up and you don't need to do big upgrades, you can do small upgrades on a weekly or bi-weekly basis without stressing out with huge versions. People like me will simply enjoy short games like yours without the ad-hassles and making it calm and smooth.

But Good Job again for the idea and simplicity, continue!!!
I would add anything to do with money with great caution. Ads can ruin the experience of a game and I really don't want that for this one.

I like the ideas you had though, these kind of opt-in ads are a good way of getting a small income without forcing it on people.

Definitely intend to put out a few updates - thank you for all the kind words and feedback :)

I've released a new version where you can now collect special soma abilities! These allow you to push away all the repellers, become see through, or slow down time.

This is out on both the Google Play Store and App Store.