• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

iOS [SOLVED] Xcode FATAL ERROR - Real argument is unset. Please help us.

J

Jamesreid

We are trying to get our game available on iOS using GMS2 (1.5.322) and Xcode 9.4.1. We have a developer account, all certificates. The game runs great on our PC and iMac.

We got the game on our phone yesterday, however today, after adding a few new lines of code, Xcode is being a meanie and popping up this error:

FATAL ERROR in action number 1 of Step Event0 for object o_player_run: REAL argument is unset
called from - gml_Object_o_player_run_Step_0 (line 1)

This error is coming from code that yesterday was working fine (nothing changed).

Here is the code:
if instance_exists(o_players){
x = o_players.x;
y = o_players.y;
}
if global.pause == 1 or global.tutpause == 1{
image_speed = 0;
}else{
if global.platform_inst_hsp > -18 {
image_speed = 0.5;
}else{
image_speed = 0.80;
}
}

Does anyone see an issue here? We think when Xcode is changing our code into it's own code, its putting in this " #include <YYGML.h>" header on line one of it's converted "gml_Object_o_player_run_Step_0". Is this related?..

Thanks for any help! Literally anything is helpful at this point. I also do want to mention that we have read a post similar to this called "REAL argument is unset? - MaiNaym on Nov. 26, 2016" and it didn't seem like it applied to our situation.
fatal-error-xcode-gms2.png

-James and Bailey

J

Jamesreid

SOLVED: Xcode doesn't like when you keep compiling your app under the same exact project name. For example: "Game Name" should be changed to "Game Name 1" (make sure you change it under File --> Save Project As, not by renaming the file after right-clicking or something).

EDIT: I guess that's why people make versions lol

Ps7cho

I am not using any Xcode, and I am building on android. But I got the same error, called from when my first object initialized too. IDE v2.1.5.322. It only gave me the error when running for YYC, VM worked fine. and renaming the project did seem to fix it.

Tornado

It's an older thread, but just for the future reference:

If the project rename helped that could mean that maybe caches were the problem. There weren't updated properly. A new project with different name gets new cache folders and that "solved" the problem.

When encountering such problems I advise to do Build->Clean and then to clean all three cashes under Preferences->General Settings->Paths:
- push the button "Delete Temp Folder"
- push the button "Delete Asset Cache"
- push the button "Delete IDE Cache"

upload_2019-11-19_23-21-27.png